Do you dream about retirement?

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
I wonder how many other people think about retirement, because I think about it everyday. I've been dwelling on it a lot for the past 10 years and use it as a driving force to keep going to work. My job is not physically hard, but a stressful, high level of responsibility and a lot of corporate BS. Some say if you're riding the gravy train with good pay and good hours hang till 70.

I get a kick out of those people that say they retired, got bored, and went back to work. "you can only do so much fishing" is a common saying. My response to them is, "do you have a hobby?"

I think that some folks love the pressure, or the power a long-term job has to offer them and they basically have no life outside of work. Others may dread having to spend so much time with their significant other.

After working at the same job for 26 years, I've had more than enough of babysitting others and along with the seemly weekly/monthly HR changes with corporate. I'm eligible for early retirement now, but I plan on waiting it out until 66. I don't want to wait until I'm 70 because it may not be there by then, or I may not be in good enough health to enjoy it.

Rick

I've been self employed most of my life. I enjoy working when I'm calling the shots, not so much when someone else does. I worked for a couple of small business operations and when the corporate BS started to rear its ugly head, I left both times, and went back out on my own. It's a lot easier now that I don't have hungry mouths to feed, the stress is much less. I guess where I'm going with this is that I enjoy working at things that I enjoy doing. So far I've been able to do things I enjoy and make a living doing it. So, as long as I'm physically able to work with my hands, and with machines, I'll probably work until they find me keeled over. I'm ok with that....I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

I spend waaay too much time thinking about retirement given I've got at least 12 years to hit my minimum age. My wife's been retired for about 10 years and it just ain't right. If it wasn't for health insurance cost I could probably retire in two years. Thanks! Now I have something to think about for the rest of the night! :angry:

Rick---I always wanted to retire at age 55, but it never happened--we raised our family on only my small income and when the kids were home I didn't mind borrowing needed money for a home--cars--and trips and emergencies---I didn't have any loans after I retired------I did retire early at age 61 and I am 71 now and I have never even thought about working for someone else again-----Though my wife and I only live on our ss and a small dwindling pension--we get by and are very happy---the trick to retiring early was having everything paid off and having lots of cost saving hobbies---we definitely do not get bored and do not borrow money for cars-homes-computers--or anything else---I am very thrifty as you can tell by my threads--and also am not lacking on tools and numerous resources---I can always find a way to get wanted items without spending cash for their value---that's why I enjoy making and fixing things---I also look for quality parts in items that are discarded to enhance my valuable storehouse.----I have more than enough tools (as anyone that has been to my shops can attest) and I have gobs of dream machines to make in my head----I am very happy to share my thrifty knowledge to any member that wants to know a cheaper method to fix or solve a problem-------my total trust is in Jesus and I know he will always be caring for everyone that wants him in their life----I have no fears about retirement and am really enjoying it-----I am praying that all retired members are enjoying it also--------Dave

**note----when my dad told me how important hobbies were in a persons life--he also stressed that all hobbies should pay for themselves to be a benefit on your family budget-----Dad and my mom raised eleven of us kids------he always had a garden and hobby farm when he was younger ----and he took up woodworking and mechanics in his sixties for extra hobbies----and when he was 70 he started building clocks until he died at 92-------I agree with him totally--- and if you have hobbies that cost you highly--- then you better be very financially stable to pay for them---metal working---wood working--repairing broken items---fixing cars and trucks--helping others ---fabricating things you need---gardening-----these and many others are very good and rewarding hobbies for us------- I really enjoy knowing all our members and happy to communicate on projects and your needs---we are a very good group-----Dave

Last edited:
At 55 I am counting the days. I too cannot imagine being bored enough to go back to work, ever. It seems the older I get the less I can put up with in the working world. I always wish I had the nerve to start my own business. But, I was too fearful of the dedication it would have taken.

I'm 54 and have been at it for 31 years. The older I get, the more I think about retirement and what I will do to keep myself busy.

Roy

I was lucky, I was at the right job with the right company, managed projects worldwide including 4 years as an expat in China, I was able to retire financially at age 55. Shortly after retiring a good friend started a group in another company and he pulled me out to jump start it with him. I gave them 3 years and finally retired for good. Will probably collect SS at age 65.

Now at age 62 since retirement, my year starts with shooting matches in Puerto Puerto in January, matches in LA, AR, OH, NC, TX, and cap it in AZ in Oct. And in between, I hung out with the grandkids in Virginia. There is not enough incentive for me to go back to work. Life has been good.

Last summer I made the jump into machining (something I know nothing about) and bought a Bridgeport and a lathe. Though I thought life could not get any better, I can tell you, life is much better now that I have a small machine shop --- learning something new is invigorating.

I've had unsolicited consulting offers for some real good money, but I would not trade my lifestyle now.

Rick I had a dream job at a well know consumer product company for 30 years and at age 67 was content to keep on working as a design engineer, creating all sorts of consumer products that you and I probably own.....And then the with great corporate wisdom they decided to shut our design centre down.

At first I felt that I wanted to keep on working in my discipline.. that lasted for about 10 nano seconds.

I am now repairing old mechanical clocks and helping my friend build experimental airplanes.

Bottom line glad they shut me down and paid me off.

I had always planned to retire early financially, so I was ready. Some may not be so lucky.\

David

This only my opinion, but retire as soon as you can. I had plans to retire at 55, travel a little and enjoy life. It was all planned out and set in motion. THEN, I got sick at 47 years old and had to go on disability. lost my income for 6 months while Social Security played with my disability application, forced me into bankruptcy and I lost everything I owned.

The moral here is : the best plans can turn to crap unexpectedly. I am 63 now and doing ok. Those people who get bored being retired are nuts. I stay as busy as I want. I can't find enough time to play in my shop and do the things I want to do.

The other reason to retire as soon as you can is , you don't know what is creeping up on you.... I am 63 and got surprised recently after a medical checkup and may only live another year or so without extremely risky surgery. IF I have the surgery , I have a 10% chance of surviving it. If I was still working , I'd be mad because I would have had no time to enjoy myself.

Mark Frazier

Note: I have led a full and exciting life. In the last several years I survived two heart attacks, open heart surgery, have a pacemaker, a morphine pump , and had one stroke. I HAVE NO REGRETS and I also plan to be around another twenty or so years, CUTTING CHIPS, with God willing.

SO, MY OPINION IS .... RETIRE AS SOON AS YOU CAN AND ENJOY LIFE WHILE YOU CAN.

The place shut down two weeks before I planned to retire, using my holidays to make the 65. The word blessed comes to mind. I have far too many hobbies, wood working, old wood working machinery rebuilding, hunting, fishing, shooting, stock making, travelling, and of course the dog needs attention.

A lesson : the process is more important than the product

Back