Do you dream about retirement?

A lot of interesting and good answers here. I would say that anyone who retires should have an activity or hobby that is constructive and interesting for them. I don't mean gardening with the wife, unless that interests you. I mean something that interests only you, regardless of how your friends & family feel.

IMHO: Over the years, I've seen guys die shortly after retirement or become colossal alcoholics because they had nothing to do.

I'll second this with gusto... We ran a back of the envelope analysis of all the guys that retired out of our facility back in the late 80's. The ones that had no interest outside of working at the job lasted just a short time for the most part. Those that had hobbies or things to do consistently, lasted much longer. Back then, the average life expectancy after retirement from the company was only about 19 months. We had several guys not even make it to retirement and a few that made it less than a month after going out. Those help skew the numbers to a pretty short survival rate.

If you are going to retire and sit at home, drink your beer and watch tv all the time, better go on and buy a casket and a plot. Use the casket for a coffee table and maybe it will motivate you go be active in something.

Freedom 55?
Ha. I'm 54 and haven't figured out what I want to be when (if) I grow up. I was just recounting today to a younger friend all the dozen or so jobs I've had. The longest one just wrapped up in July at 8 years. Kinda like U2 sang- "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

I could never understand these guys who say, "I don't know what I'm going to do when I retire." If I lived as long as Methuselah I wouldn't run out of things to do- as long as my health stayed reasonable. Aye, there's the rub. Diabetes and spinal stenosis are playing hob with my energy and strength.
But that is what eternity is for. Time won't be an issue. Ps 16:11

Al

Back