Do You Use a 3 Jaw or a 4 Jaw Chuck?

I put a 8 inch 4 jaw on my 10K

I'm surprised to hear that an 8 inch chuck is practical on a 10 inch lathe. Have you encountered situations where the jaws and ways wanted to occupy the same space?

My 9x20 three jaw is well out so I only use it if I do not have to replace the part back in it.
The four jaw gets a lot of use for that reason, and the face plate and between centres.
For most of my smaller stainless stuff I use the collet chuck I made but still have to grind the internal taper for final alignment. Its almost there.

Interesting, even if you have a loose 3 jaw, as long as you can finish the job without a re-chuck, no problem?
I should have kept the set of 5C South Bend collets that came with my Sb lathe. I had no idea what they were so I sold them on eBay.
Idiot!!
I’m learning every day.

I was never a machinist or had any schooling besides you guys. I have always got away with my 3 jaw if I don’t have to remove the part from the chuck, i’ff you have enough material.
Thanks Ron from in ohio

Being really lazy, I leave my Bison 3 jaw on most of the time. It is within 0.002" for most of the scroll.
Robert

I'm surprised to hear that an 8 inch chuck is practical on a 10 inch lathe. Have you encountered situations where the jaws and ways wanted to occupy the same space?
I can honestly say no. When there is a problem I turn my jaws around and after turning it a few turns by hand. Plus that 8 inch circle can hold a lot of metal and more than likely bigger than I going to work on. I am in it as a hobby not a business.
Nelson

I will use whatever chuck that the project seems to call for. There even has been times that the face plate will work best. It's also a good time to clean and check the spindle bore before the next chuck goes on. Admittedly, the lathe is a little 8x14, so it's not a big deal.

I just read all of this thread. And I wonder how my folks have used a really nice 3 jaw chuck? I’m not selling them! But say, like a Buck set-tru. IMHO, I think your 4-jaw (except odd shapes) and collet stuff will collect dust after you have tried one…Dave
Even those once set on one part is usually good it comes down to how many times you open and close the jaws. For some reason ,,wear, they just loose the set. With four jaw it's set up every time to as close as possible. There is no perfect solution . Even cnc machines reprobe the set up cking often.

Even those once set on one part is usually good it comes down to how many times you open and close the jaws. For some reason ,,wear, they just loose the set. With four jaw it's set up every time to as close as possible. There is no perfect solution . Even cnc machines reprobe the set up cking often.
I understand your concern. But personally, I do not have that problem AT ALL. I use Buck chucks daily and have been for many decades. They are just as good as the first day I bought them new. I take them apart clean and grease about every 6 months. I NEVER wrench down on stubby parts barely in the end of jaws, that will spring your jaws. I always clean the material before I chuck it. I can go on, but I think you get the idea. I try and take care of my chucks and that goes for everything in my toy house. I firmly believe the chucks I own will outlive me. Giving outstanding accuracy all along. I do own full sets of Hardinge 5C collets and lathe chucks to hold them. But because my Buck set-tru chucks are so nice and accurate the collects collect dust (very thick dust!). And I’m not affiliated with Buck & Company in any way…Dave...Happy Father's Day

Last edited:
3 jaw or 4 jaw?

Yes...

IOW, I have both, I use both... also a 5c collet chuck. I'd say none of them really gets used more than the others... each has its place.

-Bear

Back