[Lathe] Does Anyone Have A Tiawanese Lathe Rml1440

Mal, last question first. Yes that is my lathe, an actual photo of it when i first picked it up It is in my garage , but not fully positioned yet. In what way should it look different. As to what do I want to make. When I first decided to get a lathe about a year before the actual event. I just wanted to do some machining, I had not thought about making anything, just repairing stuff and maybe making a special; screw or shaft for a mate, or myself.

But when the lathe arrived my friends started asking what will I make, and made suggestions generally centered around various steam engines. I gave it some thought, and decided no, I would not make a steam engine, although certain historic ones might interest me, no.

As it happens, I'm something of a Harley Davidson fan, currently riding my 3rd HD. Then I thought what if I made a scale model 1/4 scale of a HD motor, one that actually runs with that classic beat.

that is when I realised I'm going to need to do some serious milling, so that's where I'm at.

Bob I looked up your Lathe and then I looked at your photo. Who ever took your photo has done a good job, because your lathe looks far more impressive than their sales brochure photo. To be honest, I really only need a lathe like yours, I just got carried away.

I am currently in the throws of replacing my shed compressor and trying really had not to get carried away. I have cleared a space (which is a bit hard to find) and working on what will fit.

The 1/4 scale running engine project is way beyond me but I know for sure, many of us here on the forum will be eager to hear of each small step you make towards realizing your dream.

Mal

Mal, I took the photo, so thanks for compliments. I don't consider myself to be a very good photographer, but I did use a moderately decent camera, and I think the lighting is good.

i do agree the photo does make the lathe look pretty impressive, and I'm quite impressed with it. I've taken some pretty heavy cuts, without complaint. I've also done some milling, just by clamping the job, steel, to the cross slide and holding the cutter, a 12mm end mill in the chuck, I know not recommended, but it worked and worked well. I have also plunged a 3", 75mm circle cutter into 6mm thick steel plate. I've done 6 holes so far, 8 more to go. Yes I know without the photos it didn't happen, and I will get some up as soon as I've got enough to show, with a bit of a story.

So overall I'm very happy with the lathe, just wish I had more time to play with it. Two years ago, not long after I bought the lathe my wife had a major stroke. Of course I became her primary carer, so I have been chief cook and bottle washer ever since. Fortunately she is getting better, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. So hopefully within 6 months I'll be able to get more than a couple of hours a week on the lathe

Nothing wrong with getting carried away I do it all the time. Funny though, when it comes to something like a lathe or a new car, nothing but the best or close to it. but with an air compressor I bought a cheapy, $110. From the local big box hardware shop. It works and I don't use a lot of air. I also bought a genuine Aloris BXA QCTP, But I buy cheap chinese tool holders. And Chinese inserts, mostly they're ok.. I got a couple of genuine BXA holders with the toolpost and apart from a slightly better finish on the Aloris it's hard to tell the difference. Although time will probably show the difference in quality.

The 1/4 scale engine project is quite possibly beyond me as well, and may never be finished, as I'm not getting any younger, especially with the limited tooling that I have. I have not yet worked out how I'm going to make the camshaft, and the lube oil pump, plus I have no way of cutting the gears for the timing drive. But I'm sure as I make progress othe easier bits ideas will come to me. In all my years as a marine engineer I used to say to my team, "Don't tell me what you can't do, show me what you can do." And when it mattered we achieved some amazing things. So I will soldier on.

You can cut gears on your lathe... It a slow progress but it can be done.
I'm sure it can be, There is not much that can't be done, if you put your mind to it. I just haven't thought through the process yet. And given enough productive years, I'll get it done, even if I have to file them by hand. I know that can be done, because I've done it.

Find a gear with the same tooth count or double of what you want.
Mount that gear on the back of the head stock and make a paw stop for it.
Use your cross feed to cut your new gear.

Thanks, I'll probably do something like that when the time comes, but at the moment I've got other fish to fry.

Well it sure is great to hear from Mal again about his baby. Lol I know I'm just like you both. I tend to go for the best tools I can afford. Being a carpenter by trade I have a garage full of wood working tools but the precision of metal working I think is where my heart is. I'd just love to see a few pics of Wally some day when you have a chance Mal. A dream machine like that sure sounds like a real treat to use. I'm just waiting and biding my time till I can afford a sweet machine like yours.

Here are a couple of close ups - I often find with the internet getting the nitty gritty detail is harder to find. One of the points that swayed me to buy the Colchester is the oil pump with replaceable oil filter.

Cheers MalMAL_7301.jpgMAL_9392.jpg

Mal, I'm sure that the colchester is quite some machine, and I do like the idea of an oil pump and filter, we had colchester's at trade school when I was an apprentice (early 60's), they were quite good machines then, fully made in Uk and only recently imported, they were quite new. However I did follow my philosophy and bought the best I could afford that would fit in the space I had, and yes I'm happy with it, the only thing it doesn't have that I wold really like is a gap, but to get that I would have to have bought the next size bigger, which of course wouldn't fit the space, so catch 22.

Bob, i actually paid extra to have a shorter bed, so it would fit in my shed. I had to wait for it to be made but so far have not needed the bed length - undoubtedly the day will come - but will cross that bridge when I get there.

Attached is the plan I made before I ordered the new lathe - to make sure the shed would work out. It has changed a bit but only marginally.short bed version new shed layout.jpg

Mal

short bed version new shed layout.jpg

Back