Does anyone have an acceptable alternative to utilize 1” end mills on a R8 spindle machine?

problematique

Registered
Registered
I know that you can’t chuck anything larger than 7/8 or so in an r8 spindle machine. Is there an available adapter to use 1” endmills? I was gifted a bunch of carbide endmills and would love to have the capacity to use them.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 14
I use an ER-40 collet chuck, have 2 of them actually. My collet blocks are ER-40 also. ER-40 max capacity is technically 1" but there are slightly oversized collets for them. I have a 1-1/8" collet that I use for workholding.

The tool shown below is 1", well it's actually 25.0mm in a 25mm collet.
20221001_170857.jpg

I use an ER-40 collet chuck, have 2 of them actually. My collet blocks are ER-40 also. ER-40 max capacity is technically 1" but there are slightly oversized collets for them. I have a 1-1/8" collet that I use for workholding.

The tool shown below is 1", well it's actually 25.0mm in a 25mm collet.
View attachment 421990
I like that. That may be in my future as a workholder

1" endmills are useable on smaller machines *IF* the user understands the machine's limitations and adjusts feed/ speed/ DOC, etc. to stay within those limitations...

-Bear
I’m just learning this stuff but i’m the guy that is always cautious. I wasn’t planning on big cuts or speed. I just want to utilize the stuff i’ve been given in some form or fashion.

1" endmills are useable on smaller machines *IF* the user understands the machine's limitations and adjusts feed/ speed/ DOC, etc. to stay within those limitations...

-Bear
I’ve successfully used a 1-1/4”, 3/4” shank end mill in my mini mill on Aluminum, with caution (and LMS’s OK).

I like that. That may be in my future as a workholder
I went with ER-40 for tool holding on the mill simply cause I planned on using ER-40 for work holding on the lathe because of the 1" capacity. I use a Bison R8 ER-40 chuck & scored a second identical Bison from an old member here when he used to be local to me. For 3/8" and smaller tools I prefer to use a ER-16 chuck instead of the ER-40 even though there are collets that small available for it.

Turns out I rarely even use the lathe ER-40 collet chuck. I also realized it was probably a better idea not to share the same collects I use for tool holding & work holding. So I saved the good collets for the mill & bought an economy set of collets for use in the lathe & collet blocks.

If I had to do it over I probably would have gone with ER-32 for tool holding instead. I don't really need 1" capacity for tool holding, I just bought that tool shown above just because. I don't even use 3/4" end mills that the ER-32 max capacity is. But what's done is done, no sense in wasting money & I'll just keep what I have.

Back