Does anyone have an acceptable alternative to utilize 1” end mills on a R8 spindle machine?

I’m just learning this stuff but i’m the guy that is always cautious. I wasn’t planning on big cuts or speed. I just want to utilize the stuff i’ve been given in some form or fashion.
Don't think in terms of big cut/ small cut or high speed/low speed.

Think in terms of the right sfpm and low chip load per tooth. Once you sort that out your mill will let you know what too big a cut is.

I cheated and bought an app for my phone. FS Wizard Pro.

Once you calculate speeds and feeds you can give it a specific low chip load per tooth and the closest rpm you have that is under the recommended and it will tell you how fast to feed. On a regular endmill I'll go down to 0.002" per tooth or lower and down to 0.005" on your average insert mill.

It's honestly amazing how much it helped me with any type of end or facemill. Knowing these things will make staying within your window dramatically easier.

Don't think in terms of big cut/ small cut or high speed/low speed.

Think in terms of the right sfpm and low chip load per tooth. Once you sort that out your mill will let you know what too big a cut is.

I cheated and bought an app for my phone. FS Wizard Pro.

Once you calculate speeds and feeds you can give it a specific low chip load per tooth and the closest rpm you have that is under the recommended and it will tell you how fast to feed. On a regular endmill I'll go down to 0.002" per tooth or lower and down to 0.005" on your average insert mill.

It's honestly amazing how much it helped me with any type of end or facemill. Knowing these things will make staying within your window dramatically easier.
I’m showing off my newbie-ness…

I had to look up “chip load per tooth”. I didn’t know it was a consideration, but it makes sense to me. I’m sure that i’ll need an app too because i couldn’t understand the formula as presented. A lot of my education is going to be “feel” and i’m sure it’ll prove costly.

Feel, and listening, also don't forget "experience is something you get right after you needed it" :)
This is how I was taught to run other machines and how I run my machine tools. I’m built for comfort, not speed. And for what it’s worth for big end mills I use tool holders because there’s no way it can suck into the work with a set screw. Been there, had it happen so never more with a tool holder.

We got a box ful-o-stuff from our favorite pawn ship and it contained some 1 inch shank bits.

Got an adaptor from Amazon, problem solved...

We are a hobby and repair creations type.

Meaning not production.

We use the larger stuff to alow the whole end of a chunk of material to get done in single pass.

Depth of cut may be reduced to small amounts but we are not in a hurry.

No need to push the limits of the machine, the tooling lasts longer and the chips are less likely to bite you when the land in your collar.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I’m showing off my newbie-ness…

I had to look up “chip load per tooth”. I didn’t know it was a consideration, but it makes sense to me. I’m sure that i’ll need an app too because i couldn’t understand the formula as presented. A lot of my education is going to be “feel” and i’m sure it’ll prove costly.

I dulled a hell of a lot of endmills going too slow and trying to feel things out. When i started building my own shop i realized it would be too costly so i stepped up my game a bit.

I have a couple of 1" endmills that I use in a holder. I do some plunge cutting to depth, after a center hole is done. That way I am only using a little bit of the end mill cutter to reduce loads. Mainly in aluminum, wood and plastic. There is very little to gain over a good 5/8" roughing bit as far as fast stock removal. That and a fly cutter, or face mill will get it all done. Best advice is to keep a couple sharp ones for time you need the diameter and put the rest up for sale on Ebay. You will use 1/4"-5/8" end mills a hundred times more then a 1" one.

1" roughers are great in BP mills . :encourage:

This is how I was taught to run other machines and how I run my machine tools. I’m built for comfort, not speed. And for what it’s worth for big end mills I use tool holders because there’s no way it can suck into the work with a set screw. Been there, had it happen so never more with a tool holder.
What would you use as a tool holder to try to do this? I’d like as many good opinions as possible! Thanks

Back