Does anyone know how to make the HF 4 by 6 horiz/vertical bandsaw safer to use on vertical position?

Re: Does anyone know how to make the HF 4 by 6 horiz/vertical bandsaw safer to use on vertical posit

If the blade is too close for your comfort, pick up some angle iron or aluminum and make an extended guard. It doesn't have to be that rigid and actually one with a bit of flop can be an advantage. More of a warning buzzer if you push it into the blade. I would be more worried about the saw tipping back when vertical than interacting with the blade.

The hardest thing is to learn to let the blade do the work. Pushing it hard is only going to lead to the blade deflecting rather than making it cut faster. For aluminum, you would be better off on the faster speed if you have not already done that.

Re: Does anyone know how to make the HF 4 by 6 horiz/vertical bandsaw safer to use on vertical posit

What do you use for stick lubricant?

It's a tallow-based product made by Formax out of Detroit. They make a few types and my tube doesn't even say which variety it is but it's the white stuff. They also make one specifically for bandsaw blade lubricant. I think Relton makes a similar product but I've never used it. One tube will last a very long time and I've also started using it as a dressing for abrasive belts. Seems to improve the cutting action with less heat build-up.

-frank

for the upper blade guard did you pull out the tightening nob and move it to the second threaded hole? i thought for a while that the guard could only be moved down untill there was like 4 or 5" of blade exposed, but if you move the tightening hand wheel and pull the guard down you will see a second threaded hole for it.

Todd
Todd,
thanks for your input, and yes I pulled it down to the secound hole. It seems like the lower blade assy needs to be raised up, so a guard would cover that 4" of open blade.
I guess I am used to my delta 14" vert wood saw with an excellent guard where ever you need it.

jon

as Far asHF blades go I use their 10-14 Vari, Premium Bimetal Blades #97119 ( made in USA) with vary good luck I tried there other blades and I think I could get better cuts from metal banding. I believe someone on the yahoo 4x6bandsaw group mentioned using a wood blade for AL. I would check that group for help. I use push sticks, clams or a special block vise I made for small parts.
Thanks,
I am not using the blade you mentioned, but I will. I have the bimetal blade with hardened teeth item 91029 for 17.00, 18 tpi 1/2" wide .025 thick, wavy tooth config. By chicago electric tools. HF only sells that blade 97119 in the store.
But I have a friend who lives real close, and will get that blade.
Thanks for the tip, and product number.
Jon

First, I almost always use a push stick, especially on small pieces. I keep a piece of oak 1/2" square with the saw all the time. I used to throw a door mat over the base of the saw and just sit on it during the cut, like everybody, but I recently came up with a whole different spin on the vertical mode of the saw. I just posted a link to my project in the tools section, but here's the link to the video again. Keep your eyes open for a spare saw at the flea market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCEg3r6Q05E

Menards has some good quality American made band saw blades for this saw for $12-$18. That's where I get mine. I've been using the same one for about a year now. If you don't get crazy with them, they will last quite awhile. This saw will never be a Kalamazoo or DoAll, but they work pretty good for what they are.

GG
Enco sometimes has sales on Starrett blades.I bought a couple last year at $9.95 each.
mike

Enco sometimes has sales on Starrett blades.I bought a couple last year at $9.95 each.
mike
In the last few months I've found USA made (from Wisconsin) blades for less than $10 that cut and last well at Farm & Fleet. That's their every day price. You can't beat a Starrett for less than $10 though. That's an incredible price. Is it their bi-metal blade?

GG

Sent using Tapatalk from someplace deep inside the garage

Got this saw free it needed a motor and I had a spare, made this mod to hold head up when adjusting stock . Also have a rongfu 4x6 that came with this mod ,I use starrett bimetal blades

image.jpeg

Used a ra grinder to make notches, works good when making adjustments

Back