Dog breeds?

While my wife and I were both working, we didn't feel comfortable with having a dog that would spend 12 -14 hours a day alone. When we retired, my wife kept pressuring me to get a dog. I had dogs previously and understood the responsibilities that go with dog ownership as well as the compromises that went along with it. I finally relented 4-1/2 years ago and we got a 10 week old rescue puppy.

The puppy's mother was an English Pointer survivor from hurricane Harvey. I have always maintained that the daddy was an alligator as the pip was toothsome. The shelter where we got Bertie gave him a clean bill of health from a vet, along with neutering, chip, and shots. As I recall, it was around $450.

Bertie currently weighs in at around 60 lbs. but is still a lap dog. His breed is energetic and we take him on hikes twice a day on most days. He is trained not to cross the road nor the creek which makes up our property lines, even when in pursuit of a squirrel or deer and responds readily when I call. When we are working outside, he sits or lays down near by. He is also discrete about "doing his business", preferring to find a secluded spot off the trail.

If he has a character flaw, it is that he is terrified of thunder and gunshots. If he hears even one in the distance, he crawls under my desk.

Responsible dog ownership is not cheap. I would guess that we are spending close to $1,000/yr. on Bertie's upkeep.

I would suggest going to the AKC website to see the characteristics and needs of the various breeds when deciding which breed would be a good fit for tour family.
1653507262796.png
Bertie at 10 wks.

1653507607326.jpeg
Bertie at 3 yrs.

1653507873592.png
Bertie now

1653507520379.jpeg
Thunder in the distance.

Looks like Bertie wore you out in pic 3 ! They'll do that . :grin:

Do you happen to have cattle on your farm? if so, get an austrailian Shepard. Smartest dog there is just loves to work the cows.

Do you want a dog that the grand kids can pile on? Then a Lab can't be beat.

But really it is all about how you train and raise them. My FL neighbors have two rottweilers - they are timid and afraid of strangers. The same breed is fenced in at the local auto junkyard - they do not need to call 911 for thieves unless it is to rescue what's left of the dumb ass that tried to jump the fence.
We used to have an Aussie. No question about the herding instinct. They come as either herders or heelers. Ours was a header. One time he was heading a small skunk under our kitchen porch. It's amazing how much stink you can pack into a small body.

As a side note, we currently have cats and horses. Including 5 stallions, all but one of those we have raised from a colt, as part of a small breeding program. While horses and dogs are a different thing, if you think an untrained dog is a mess, know that a 1000 lbs of testosterone laden horse that is untrained is a real issue. I used to help a horse vet with field surgery, mostly castrating untrained 3 year olds before the trainers would touch them. Ugh.
Dogs like horses need to know who the herd leader is, makes everyone's life much better.

Some herding dogs need a job or will be a pain. My dogs, cows and horses have always got along. I had a rescue border collie that was pretty brave across the fence. Sadly someone ran over him in my driveway and left with out saying anything.

Hunting breeds need energy to work the fields, the rest of the year you have to accept that.

My German wired hair pointer telling me it's time for dinner. She loves people and hanging out with me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220401_174208219.jpg
    IMG_20220401_174208219.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 11
0928151840b.jpg

She loved riding the 4 wheeler, if I headed towards it she would be on0928151850.jpg it and waiting before I could get there. Even the barn cats would hangout with us.
0623171745d.jpg

I am a believer in rescues. But these days some of the rescue organizations are not that good especially in the south. My son rescued two from the south and I have to say it's not like it should be. They were both mistreated by their respective organizations. So go local if you rescue.
A puppy is a lot more work. But cute as hell. So you will laugh and cry (from laughing so hard) raising a pup. But it's a lot of work.
I had a border collie / German Sheppard and he would be great on a farm. My current dog a German Sheppard would also be good, but it's twice the size (at least he is) as what you are looking at.

Having had females all my life, my last 2 were males, and I am never going back to females. They were both fixed by the rescue groups. It makes a big difference, as it takes the edginess off them, and make them a little more docile. Females are in my opinion a little more pushy, and when they don't want to play or do something WILL let you know it. A male will just comply.

Good luck in your search. And like Greg ( @f350ca) said, and it's true: With one dog they are your best friend, with two, they are each others best friends... When he said that, it was beautifully expressed.

Any idea what breed the black fluffy above is? She looks just like an older version of our black foster.
She was a rescue, so I'm not positive. They had a brother and sister my friends took the male and I got the female. Through the years I know I got the best of the 2. We both got many opinions from vets and wags. They definitely had some terrier and who knows what else? Mine had the coldest nose of any dog I've ever had. She was a absolute sweetheart and loved attention. She might lick you to death but would never bite. If you petted her she would show you where the valuables are and help you haul them out. She was not a watchdog. Not good at selfies anytime she got close to your face she was licking it . Keep in mind I have livestock and dogs love to eat manure. I've seen what they eat and don't want it on my face . 0623171743d.jpg

Back