Done talking about retirement...

jpackard56

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The recent discussion on this topic, some health issues that I am still working thru and my 43rd wedding anniversary 11-11-2020.
I'm out with my wife and we've looked at this a few times over the last few years. She says "I'd rather have more time with you than the extra money"
I planned on working several more years and the nagging thought has become, why?
New management that literally has no "boots on the ground experience" making changes that include doing more with less people, pushing projects scheduled for two years into 9 months, fighting the weather, fighting supply chain shortages, then add in Covid. The clincher, one of my colleagues was doing the same because he felt he needed just some more in that retirement fund to start traveling with his wife and enjoying his grand-kids. I transferred to another area and lost track of him for a few months. One of his sons let me know "Dad is really doing poorly" and before I could go see him he passed.
So I did the paperwork and officially retired Veterans Day 2020 !!
Yes, I'm stilling getting up at 4:30 each morning even without the alarm...working on things around the farm to get ready for winter, cleaning in the shop (I actually have paths now and am planning the wiring to hook up my Wells-Index and Lodge& Shipley), organizing projects, prioritizing cars, trucks and tractors as to those I still plan on rebuilding, using, or selling and each day I'm wondering how did I ever get anything done working on the road? If you are on the fence about retiring DO IT.
I'm guessing NOBODY on their death bed says gee I wish I had spent more time at work....
This last Monday we drove two hours to my oldest gran-daughters birthday party on a weekday !! Even with masks that was way better than being on a work site !

Congratulations on your retirement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing NOBODY on their death bed says gee I wish I had spent more time at work....
Another congratulations on your retirement!

I believe you have the key to a good successful retirement in having things that you look forward to doing on retirement time as it sure does beat cramming those things into before and after work/weekends/holidays. And as we get old we never know when the proverbial s...t hits fan will happen.

Retirement for me is like a second childhood of an endless summer of doing whatever I want and can afford to do.

Waiting too long is never good although finances can dictate when or if retirement is the thing to do.
No matter who it is, one has to have something to do in retirement. Travel, hobbies, hide from their spouse etc.

The lazy boy with beer and cigarettes is a death sentence for most people.

Congratulations on your retirement, its a wonderful feeling.
Its great when you dont have to listen to dumb clucks with no experience who think they know everything anymore.
Enjoy and take care.

Congratulations on your retirement!!!! I see your alreadly reaping the benefits, and I'm sure you'll never regret it.

I heard around the farm. You aren't retired. You only went from working two jobs to one. Just kidding. Enjoy having the time to choose what you want todo.

Back