Dorian "First Time Buyer" QCTP and Holder set - beware!

In regard to determining the suitability of a particular QCTP to any given lathe, there is one critical dimension which is not usually specified. We get numbers for the swing over bed, swing over carriage, and center to center distance but not for the distance from the spindle axis to the top of the compound. It is this dimension which determines if a particular QCTP will work on the lathe. Unfortunately there appears to be no standard for this dimension among lathe manufacturers.

The minimum vertical setting for a tool holder is determined by the thickness of the tool seat and the size of the tool being used. For my AXA class QCTP, the thickness of the tool seat is between .410" and .471" depending upon the manufacturer of the tool holder. Add to that, a 1/2" tool, and my minimum tool height is .910" to .971". My Grizzly G0602 has a distance of .923" from the spindle axis to the top of the compound which means that the only tool holders which will allow me to properly set a 1/2" tool is the Shars 250- 01 XL with the .410 high tool seat.

As far as maximum usable tool height, that is determined by the difference between the height of the tool holder and the tool post, along with the minimum tool height. In my case, the maximum is well over the spindle axis and not of concern. However, if there is a greater distance between the axis and the compound, as in the case of the OP then

Shars gives dimensions for tool posts, as do Dorian, Aloris, and Phase II. A simple measure of the the spindle axis to top of compound distance should determine which QCTP and tool holders will work on your lathe.

For those individuals who are buying a QCTP along with a new lathe, it would be a useful contribution to this site to compile a list of lathes and their spindle axis to top of compound distances. I'll start off by offering the above-mentioned distance for the G0602 of .923" and .779" for my Atlas 6x18, Model No. 101.21400.

Finally, in regard to the OP's problem, I would simply put a spacer of appropriate thickness between the QCTP and the compound. On my G0602, would be able to raise the QCTP by 5/8".

RJ, I think your suggestion of compiling lathe dimensions is excellent. I'll start a thread
in Machine Accessories, since that's where the Tool Post Reviews are stickied. Perhaps
you could repost your lathe dimensions there and hopefully other people will join in.

Last edited:
Okay guys and gals.

I talked to my brother last night about contacting someone on the inside of Dorain. Forget that! The company is Italian family own! He said they are very strong headed and very difficult getting them to listen and consider making changes unless they come up with it first. So there we have it.
Did find out that not all of their stuff is made right here in USA. They bring in a lot of stuff from their country of Italy. Brother did indicate that the QCTP and holders were made here in USA.

Ken

EDIT: Rearranged some of the language as requested by one of our members!

And I have nothing against Italians. They do make some nice tooling and machinery that we have never heard of. Also, they are big in the forging industry, too. I've dealt with forgings from there in the past.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Italy makes some fine stuff. LOL
Okay edit: I was joking but seriously Italy is not known for it's quality manufacturing.

Okay edit: I was joking but seriously Italy is not known for it's quality manufacturing.

Well if you spend enough money they do, Ferraris, Maseratis, Lamborghinis, are some pretty impressive. I have a bandsaw thats made in Italy that incredible, a tapping head thats great, but they do also sell Fiats

Other than Ferrari, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, etc.

I'll add to that Pirelli tires. I have used many brands, looking for that tire, that holds the road the way it should and releases when it should. And doesn't get super loud.
Goodyear (suck, loud and don't hold)
Cooper (the worst)
Bridgestone ehhh
Firestone ehhh
Toyo better but get loud quick
Continental good
Michellin (mixed bag)

Pirelli's awesome.. these things stick on the turns and just allow that little slip when needed, but don't break completely loose. I've had 2 sets, and they don't get loud like the others.

I like my coopers on my truck , tuff tire , not loud, good traction, but they are 10 ply
On my bike I liked pirelli's

Funny I had coopers on my 94 4 runner and hated them. Then tried mastercraft (I think by cooper) and liked them. I put coopers on my car and hated them. Loud, soft sidewalls when the wind blew the car was all over the place.. Yet with those soft sidewalls it didn't hold the road, they broke free way to easily. I tried all different pressures, they just didn't do it. After 2 tries on coopers I was done.

Back