down right disgusting

It occurs to me that every morning, I shave with a 100 year old straight razor. I bet some product safety pencil neck is wetting his pants worrying about me... Good, I hope it drives him nuts.

Ray

He's not worrying about you Ray, he's hoping you cut yourself so he has reason to write warnings and instruction manuals for the razor and get paid for his work. Just another opportunist!

Now that's funny...

John

- - - Updated - - -

True. Very true. I have a chainsaw that has a manual with like 6 pages of instructions and 8 pages of warnings. One, believe it or not, goes something like don't attempt to stop the chain with genitals. Really? I'd love to hear the background story on that one.

Another warning is to use the chainsaw while holding the handle not the blade. Do tell!

John

This just somehow seemed appropriate to this post (and thread) :biggrin:...

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm trying to figure out what the Chinese manual really meant instead of don't use GENITALS to stop the chain!! Really,I am.

You see all kinds of funny stuff on their products. I saw a ceramic dachshund from China. It's box said "elongated dog".

At least,their English is better than my Chinese!!:)

I am glad to see this discussion has remained civil thus far. On another forum,every time the Saw Stop subject comes up,everyone soon gets very emotional and angry. But,they are all woodworkers there,perhaps with more vested in the subject.

Last edited:
Now I'm trying to figure out what the Chinese manual really meant instead of don't use GENITALS to stop the chain!! Really,I am.

You see all kinds of funny stuff on their products. I saw a ceramic dachshund from China. It's box said "elongated dog".

At least,their English is better than my Chinese!!:)

Limb -> member -> …

Alibaba is one of the funniest sites where to have good laughs with the mistakes of automated translators.
But even with easier languages, like Italian, errors are always jumping out: I found a program where the "File" menu was not translated in the sense of "computer file" (we use the word file anyway), but in the sense of "metal file" ("lima", in Italian).

Lima is file in Spanish too. In Greek(which I never use,and am forgetting),file is "Lim"(I think),so "The file" would be "To lim". The to sounds like "toe". I had 2 Cypriot Greek boys fresh off the boat in 1963,when I taught shop for several years. So,I was learning Greek while they learned English. My wife taught English. Those boys were making A's in English,while the American students were making C's and D's. I learned the names of all the tools,and some conversational Greek(In the Cypriot dialect). But,that was a long time ago. A saw is "Segatsa". A knife is "sfheree"),phonetic,of course.

football player or not if you think you are not going to injure your brain smacking it into things you have already smacked it into things

so if your son is playing high school football, takes a bad hit/ foul and is then forced to go back on the field by the coach, whereupon he gets another bad hit followed by months of depression, mood swings and failing grades, you're good with that? Then again, it seems like you're suggesting that football players at all levels should expect to get repeated concussion and generally treated like good ol' Roman slaves/ gladiators, so I imagine that you are, right? What next, don't complain when you get MRSA when you go to hospital because you should expect it?

so if your son is playing high school football, takes a bad hit/ foul and is then forced to go back on the field by the coach, whereupon he gets another bad hit followed by months of depression, mood swings and failing grades, you're good with that? Then again, it seems like you're suggesting that football players at all levels should expect to get repeated concussion and generally treated like good ol' Roman slaves/ gladiators, so I imagine that you are, right? What next, don't complain when you get MRSA when you go to hospital because you should expect it?

As far as football, wrestling or any other intense sport at the high-school or elementary school level, I think there is way too much emphasis on competition and not enough on skill development. At the early phases, such sports are supposed to be an outlet for kids to burn-off energy, build some muscle and skill -and socialize. Also, yes indeed, the coach and school administrators should be held responsible for pushing the team or individuals too hard. In the last two decades, TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) is a well known issue -and there's no coach in this country who doesn't know about it.

Long before anyone knew what MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) was, I was in the thick of it back in the mid 80's. Everyone (that I knew of and worked with) trained with safety in mind. Did we push the envelope? Sure. Did we cross the line? No. Still though, there were always a few guys who wanted to go all the way and the allure of money and product endorsements etc pulled them in. We all knew what concussions do to you long term as we saw the effects on boxers over the last half-century. We watched old videos of boxers, BJJ and wrestlers. We studied their moves over and over and we followed their careers for years. -And we saw them get dulled, dumber and more crippled as the years passed. -Yet some people conveniently forget all that when money talks.

Maybe some of the early NFL players didn't think about concussions but, ANYONE involved in any level of sports since the late 80's knows about it and talks about it every day. By the time you get into college or pro leagues, I think you're on you're own. The people who get into this at the advanced levels know what they're doing and they know the risks. -No doubt about it and I'm speaking from first-hand experience.

Ray

I recently saw a notification for a safety modification of my old Craftsman radial arm saw so I applied for it. I expected to get a modified blade guard in a small box but instead received a package that probably weighed in at about 50lbs. and consisted of many different components including a new table. I can't imagine how much it cost for them to produce and ship this but it was probably substantially more than the profit that they made on the saw when I purchased it over 30 years ago. This thread explains why they did this.

forced?
Is someone holding a gun to their head?

forced?
Is someone holding a gun to their head?

you're dodging the question by using inflammatory rhetoric. If we're actually having a discussion here instead of this being a single viewpoint only echo box, it would be interesting to know your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as football, wrestling or any other intense sport at the high-school or elementary school level, I think there is way too much emphasis on competition and not enough on skill development. At the early phases, such sports are supposed to be an outlet for kids to burn-off energy, build some muscle and skill -and socialize. Also, yes indeed, the coach and school administrators should be held responsible for pushing the team or individuals too hard. In the last two decades, TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) is a well known issue -and there's no coach in this country who doesn't know about it.

Long before anyone knew what MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) was, I was in the thick of it back in the mid 80's. Everyone (that I knew of and worked with) trained with safety in mind. Did we push the envelope? Sure. Did we cross the line? No. Still though, there were always a few guys who wanted to go all the way and the allure of money and product endorsements etc pulled them in. We all knew what concussions do to you long term as we saw the effects on boxers over the last half-century. We watched old videos of boxers, BJJ and wrestlers. We studied their moves over and over and we followed their careers for years. -And we saw them get dulled, dumber and more crippled as the years passed. -Yet some people conveniently forget all that when money talks.

Maybe some of the early NFL players didn't think about concussions but, ANYONE involved in any level of sports since the late 80's knows about it and talks about it every day. By the time you get into college or pro leagues, I think you're on you're own. The people who get into this at the advanced levels know what they're doing and they know the risks. -No doubt about it and I'm speaking from first-hand experience.

Ray

sure, but the suit isn't about the risks inherent in body contact sports as that's self-evident, it's about the fact that the NFL and its teams knew/ know about the risks and ways to avoid or minimise them, but rationally and consciously chose to do nothing. That is the central concept of any of these lawsuits and the key point that people choose to ignore when they read the headlines or hyperbole.

As for the saw suit, that's a tricky one as there aren't any mandated auto-stop safety requirements yet (although I'm sure that there are others) and the safety tech at the heart of the suit is from one supplier only, so comparisons to things like ABS or traction control in new cars don't work. Personally I think it's specious as the plaintiff presumably had a choice between different saws and chose one without the safety tech based on his own preferences i.e. it's a conscious choice on his part and not a lack of care on the manufacturers. Then again, I haven't read the full brief.

Back