Drawer Liner Material Wide Enough for Cabinets 22" Deep?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I took a US General tool chest and turned it into a welding cart. Then mice got in, relieved themselves on quite a number of things, and chewed up the drawer liners.

No problem, right? I bought a roll of US General drawer liner.

Wrong.

US General drawer liner is 18" wide, and the drawers are a little over 20" deep. You have to wonder who came up with that idea.

Does anyone here know of a good drawer liner which is at least 20" wide? I don't mean the pillowy stuff they also sell for kitchen drawer liners. That material exudes a chemical that eats certain plastics.

If there's a size that fits, I'm a big fan of using pig mat. They've got a proper tool box liner too, but so long as you're not slamming the drawers (much), the regular stuff works.

As for that kitchen drawer liner stuff..... Give it twenty years, it'll settle down and behave, and make a good liner. :cool:

The drawers that I can't keep a "proper" liner in for various reasons, which is several, but worst is my "air tool drawer" that has stuff tossed in three layers deep and gets stirred around a lot, I just cut up the first cardboard box I come across big enough to cover the drawer bottom. It works surprisingly well, and lasts WAY longer than you'd think. Paper side up, not the glossy "buy me" side...

Thanks for the answer.

There is a Pig Mat in the right size, but you have to buy 135', so I will probably not buy it.

In case anyone is not clear on the kind I DON'T want, here is an example:

Drawer Liner That Eats Plastic

It won't bother some plastics, but it will eat right into others. People have argued with me about this, as though I had imagined it.

Here is something that might work, but it's $38 for 7 drawers.

Kitchen Drawer Liner

This one will do 11 drawers for $33.

Cheaper Kitchen Liner

It looks like Lowe's is the only local retailer that sees the wisdom of selling drawer liners that match their boxes and don't eat plastic.

Lowe's Drawer Liner

This stuff is the right size, and it supposedly contains a rust inhibitor.

It looks like Lowe's is the only local retailer that sees the wisdom of selling drawer liners that match their boxes and don't eat plastic.

Lowe's Drawer Liner

This stuff is the right size, and it supposedly contains a rust inhibitor.
That is the stuff I use. I put some double-sided tape down around the perimeter of the drawer to make sure the liner doesn't move around (it probably won't, but it is just an extra measure.) This is the stuff I use around the perimeter of the liner.

I used yoga matt from the 5-below store.
No idea about plastic (or anything else) compatibility… but its been in there for about 5yrs now with no issues noticed

I’m sure the Lowes stuff is a better choice! :D

I buy a yard or two of felt from the local craft store. 54” wide, 36 or 72” long, cuts and lays perfectly.
Also available in colors beside green. :)

And it’s very inexpensive.

Last edited:
I also have been using 1/8" thick yoga mat. Comes in 24" wide by 68" long, cuts easily.

I went a different direction when I lined my flat file box. All the drawer liner I’ve ever bought was junk over the long run. Bought a synth grass carpet and cut it up. I still need to use some of that two sided tape but so far I love it. It’s a bit stiffer than other liners and is easy to grab the the tool and any dirt or swarf doesn’t grind on the lenses of of DI’s as it falls through the “grass”. I had enough to do the 5 40x30” drawers and have enough to make mats outside on the back patio and next to the hot tub. $25.

Attachments

• 91F19BA6-85E8-4F88-BA9D-5B120DD98F6D.jpeg
    91F19BA6-85E8-4F88-BA9D-5B120DD98F6D.jpeg
    533.2 KB · Views: 28
I went a different direction when I lined my flat file box. All the drawer liner I’ve ever bought was junk over the long run. Bought a synth grass carpet and cut it up. I still need to use some of that two sided tape but so far I love it. It’s a bit stiffer than other liners and is easy to grab the the tool and any dirt or swarf doesn’t grind on the lenses of of DI’s as it falls through the “grass”. I had enough to do the 5 40x30” drawers and have enough to make mats outside on the back patio and next to the hot tub. $25.

That's awesome!

Back