Drawer Liner Material Wide Enough for Cabinets 22" Deep?

I have seen a number of these ideas online since my last post. I also learned they charge us different prices depending on what we intend to use things for. A yoga mat may cost nearly nothing, but the same material, labeled as drawer liner, suddenly becomes very expensive.

I had another idea. Truck bed coating. It wears like steel. I fixed up a tool chest for use as a rolling belt grinder cart, and if I spray the insides of drawers with truck bed liner, I can put belts in them without scratching the paint.

The Lowe's stuff looks like the best option for the chest I'm working on now. The product they put in it is called Zerust, and it supposedly decreases rust for a few years. Then it stops working.

While I'm at it, I'll mention another idea. As far as I know, every single drawer wrench organizer ever manufactured is overpriced and/or not very good. I found a great solution on Youtube. You get #12 THHN solid wire and make loops in it. Stick the wrenches between the loops, and they will stay in place. Takes up way less room than factory-made organizers. It's kind of a pain making the loops, but when you see a whole set of wrenches in your drawer, taking up much less space than they did in the silly plastic organizer they came with, you will know it's worth the trouble.

I'll link to a video.

I tried the Lowe's stuff today, and it was perfect. No issues at all. You would think the other box makers would figure this out.

I'm a notorious tight wad. When they replaced rubber belts on one of the two assembly lines in the plant they sent the old ones out to the dumpster. I helped the old janitor carry them to my truck. Cut them up to line my drawers, and still have some for small jobs like my motorcycle's battery box and so on.
This also gave the 70 year old janitor a break as I moved my truck to the dock door saving him the trip to the back of the plant. Win-win.

I'm a notorious tight wad. When they replaced rubber belts on one of the two assembly lines in the plant they sent the old ones out to the dumpster. I helped the old janitor carry them to my truck. Cut them up to line my drawers, and still have some for small jobs like my motorcycle's battery box and so on.
This also gave the 70 year old janitor a break as I moved my truck to the dock door saving him the trip to the back of the plant. Win-win.
Yup, used many a conveyor belt for stuff. Another good source is the belt off of exercise treadmmills. Not as thick as conveyor belt or wide but tough and best of all free!

I took a US General tool chest and turned it into a welding cart. Then mice got in, relieved themselves on quite a number of things, and chewed up the drawer liners.

No problem, right? I bought a roll of US General drawer liner.

Wrong.

US General drawer liner is 18" wide, and the drawers are a little over 20" deep. You have to wonder who came up with that idea.

Does anyone here know of a good drawer liner which is at least 20" wide? I don't mean the pillowy stuff they also sell for kitchen drawer liners. That material exudes a chemical that eats certain plastics.
I bought a roll of this a couple of weeks ago and am going to try it in an old Craftsman box I am restoring.

36" wide indoor/outdoor carpet for about $2 a linear foot from Menards.

Attachments

• 2022-12-26_02_35_01.jpg
    2022-12-26_02_35_01.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 5
Haven't tried it, but I think the heavy vinyl sheet material sold as shower-pan liners would make a good drawer liner, it's thick, so cushions; sold by the foot in wide widths; tough and durable. Comes in big rolls at the orange big-box store, they cut off as much as you want.

+1 to @Video_man 's post. I've used shower pan liner material in several instances. IIRC, the material on the roll is 50" wide.

Last edited:
Back