Drawing Dimensions in Fusion360

175° + 5° = 180° You are making the angle you want but defining it "upside down" or, from the "outside" legs rather than the "inside" legs. A lot of times you need to draw an extra "base" line (it can be a construction line or not) so you have a reference line to make the angle display how you would prefer.

Decimal points; click on the "gear" or Annotation Settings icon at the bottom center of the page. Then click on "Linear Dimensions Precision" to set precision for all dimsensions. Double click on the dimension and chose "Primary Precision" to set individual dimension precision.

Tolerances are inserted using the features found under the "Symbols" menu.

You could help yourself a lot by taking the time to (at least) look at the beginner lessons provided by Autodesk. (http://f360ap.autodesk.com/courses)- you will need to log on to your Autodesk account first. Then you should see

Getting Started in Fusion 360
  • circle_grey-889aefc91965cdcaf4eee4a30c3ebadfededfd8cf5774c3c6da69970e0a3c467.png
    24 lessons
  • circle_grey-889aefc91965cdcaf4eee4a30c3ebadfededfd8cf5774c3c6da69970e0a3c467.png
    Beginner
click on that.

Fusion 360 is a very powerful program and if you don't at least learn the basics you will be forever lost. I recommend that you look at a tutorial like this one and study the things you need right now but just scan the other things you don't need right now. Then you will at least know that those other features are available and you can go back to the tutorial to learn them when you need them.

Another very useful way to learn is to press every button and icon you can fine just to see what it does. Try out everything that interests you, make "pretend" or learning models and drawings. You can always delete the files you were learning on, easily reset the all of the parameters back default settings, or at the very worst re-install the entire program. You really can't hurt anything by experimenting.

One last thing. If you have questions, see the question mark in the upper left of your (Fusion 360) screen? Type your question in the first line (that says "Search Help") to get instant answers from Autodesk in your browser.

Got the angle in there, unfortunately it shows as 175 degrees instead of 5 even if I move it to the inside. ...Is there a way to make the measurements display 3 or more decimal points, .001 or .0010?
For me, when I move the dimension to the inside of the taper, it changes to measuring the internal angle. I'm not sure why yours would be different.
taper_inside.png
taper_outside.png

Double click on a dimension to open a dialog box to add a symbol or tolerance or change the precision for just that dimension.

Last edited:
I am watching the tutorial videos I can find, trying to learn more about this app.
Thanks to all of you for the assistance. You have been a big help. I am very excited about learning to use this app.

Chris

For me the so called Tutorials are half the problem. CAD programs are no where near the same. If yo try one and it doesn't work for you then you have to start with the new Tutorials for the next program. Also the word Free is not a good thing here, the same program you pay for is different. Nope, CAD is not for me.

"Billy G"

I'm wanting to start using Fusion 360.
What I'm lacking is a commuter that is up to the min spec.
What are you guys using for a computer spec wise ?

From their list of specs:

System requirements for Autodesk Fusion 360 Operating System

Apple® macOS™ High Sierra v10.13; Apple® macOS™ Sierra v10.12; Mac® OS® X v10.11.x (El Capitan)
Note: Mac OS X v10.10.x (Yosemite) is not supported.

Microsoft® Windows® 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 (64-bit only)

CPU Type 64-bit processor (32-bit not supported)
Memory 3GB RAM (4GB or more recommended)
Graphics Card 512MB GDDR RAM or more, except Intel GMA X3100 cards
Disk Space ~2.5 GB
Pointing Device Microsoft-compliant mouse, Apple Mouse, Magic Mouse, MacBook Pro trackpad
Internet A DSL internet connection or faster

Note the requirement for Windows 10. As for memory, it really doesn't use much, but I'd say no one should have less than 8GB these days no matter what. I've pushed my system almost to 13GB of memory use, but that's running all sorts of things simultaneously, not just Fusion 360.

So, the specs are pretty easy to meet. To answer your question, I have an Intel I7-3770K with 16GB of memory, a Nvidea GTX950 graphics card, Two SSD drives and 3 HDD drives. Not a typical system.

I use Fusion 360 a lot and have a couple of pretty good sized drawings with a lot of parts.

My computer is probably at the lower limit but unless I try to run stress analysis or rendering it goes about as fast as I do. I wouldn't be happy with a lesser computer I don't think.

I have an Intel Core Duo 2 CPU E800 @ 3.33GHZ. (the 3.33 GHz is probably what makes it acceptable).
4.00GB memory (limit on the mother board).
64 Bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1.
1TB drive, a 3TB external drive.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT with 1054MB memory (probably another bottle neck). Graphics effects limited in Fusion 360 with the option under "graphics diagnostics" to improve speed.

I am supposed to have 50Mb cable internet speed and it tests that way, however I sometimes have trouble streaming even a single youtube video or similar. I've always suspected something wrong but have not been able to find anything,

All-in-all this computer does OK but it is time for a new one soon.

What are you guys using for a computer spec wise ?

Microsoft 10 Home x64 bit
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
8GB RAM
Video Card - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
500GB hard drive, 1TB external

I was limping along on Solidworks prior to a video card upgrade. Then I switched to Fusion after the upgrade. No problems whatsoever.

I mostly use a Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz with 8 GB RAM, running Win 10 Pro; graphics are an NVidia GeForce 9500 GT.
Sometimes I use a Macbook Pro Retina (late-2013); Core i5-4258U @ 2.4 GHz with 8 GB RAM, running OS X 10.13.3; integrated Intel Iris 5100 graphics.

Thanks a lot. I'm getting closer. Still got to figure out how to specify the 5 degree angle, and straighten the line in the 5 degree angle so it shows the length straight (2.625), not the length of the angle line, and dimension the diameter of the long hole (.312).

Thanks,
Chris
Not an expert - for sure, but if you have the lines making the 5 degree angle then using the TAB key to alternate between length and angle. Set the length by inputting dimension in the blue box. Use TAB again and the degree box will turn blue allowing further changes if needed. Just input degree, or length, as appropriate when the box is blue.
The TAB also works for dimension changes on sketches, etc.

Back