Drawing standards reference for steel/machining

borges1

Registered
Registered
I know someone here knows exactly the book i'm searching for! In work life i run a cabinet/custom shop and churn out plenty of architectural shop drawings for architects and shop use. Over the years i've taught myself the standards and how to make decent plans. Every now and then (like right now) i have a project involving a fair amount of steel fabrication, which i sub out to someone who knows what they are doing. But.... i do have to provide the plans. I would like to learn the drafting standards for steel so when the steel fabricator gets my plans there is no confusion and everything looks proffessional. Thus far i have picked up a little bit here from seeing other steel plans, but there must be a good reference BOOK that i can physically flip though when using CAD to make the plans better and more typical. It would be a big time saver to not teach myself another notation system. For CAD i use sketcup, so all my symbols are created manually, and archived for future use, which can be a pain but is the system i have. Steel drawings and machinist drawings seem to be pretty similar in their notation, and i plan on making plans for my machining projects as i tackle them too, so a single reference would be prefered, but separate is fine.

Any text book on technical drafting or drawing will give you the information you need. Also, what are steel and machinist drawings?

I've attached a number of documents that may help, or point you to more references.

Charlie

Attachments

• APS_AES Design Drafting Stds.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • dimensioning standards.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • GD&T Basics Wall Chart.pdf
    650.9 KB · Views: 14
  • GDnT Symbols.png
    GDnT Symbols.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 14
  • GDT_Symbols_Reference_Guide2.pdf
    311.4 KB · Views: 12
  • USDA CAD Stds.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
Also, these are what I use for MacDraft Pro.

Attachments

• ~ CACC Drafting Stds MDP8.pdf
    693.3 KB · Views: 6
Thanks. totally helpful. Also, i had no idea there were so many kinds of welds! i dont need that level of detail, but interesting. Guess ill search for an old textbook on mechanical drafting.

Ha! and then that Technical drawing book appears. That seems like the ticket.

Ha! and then that Technical drawing book appears. That seems like the ticket.
It’s been very helpful for me, it should have everything you would need.

Back