Drawing standards reference for steel/machining

I have that same book, from college 82-84. still on my shelf. I haven't needed in years but I used to refer to it regularly.
I took Machine drafting my freshmen year in High school then Mechanical Drafting and Design I and Technical Drafting I my Sophomore Year then Mechanical Drafting and Design II and Technical Drafting II my Junior Year and Technical Design my senior year and I used this book my third and forth year in high school which was 80-81 and 81-82. But the copy I have came from when I was in College when I was working on a drafting and Design degree and Pre-Engineering classes, same as you 82-84.

I took Machine drafting my freshmen year in High school then Mechanical Drafting and Design I and Technical Drafting I my Sophomore Year then Mechanical Drafting and Design II and Technical Drafting II my Junior Year and Technical Design my senior year and I used this book my third and forth year in high school which was 80-81 and 81-82. But the copy I have came from when I was in College when I was working on a drafting and Design degree and Pre-Engineering classes, same as you 82-84.

In the late 60’s we learned by doing, with texts only when we moved onto Descriptive Geometry.

I had drafting all four years of high school, but I don’t recall which text book we used. It might have been the Giesecke book seeing how popular it was. But I do remember a sign my teacher had posted on the wall. When all else fails, try following the instructions. I’ve used that on my kids a few times. My teacher was a nice, laid back guy that restored Rolls Royces in his spare time. He brought on in one day for us to see, really cool.

We had no book when I took drafting in high school, but Giesecke was *the* drafting text in college and I saw it on the shelves of many engineers from many different schools after I entered the work force. Giesecke et. al. seems as close to being a universal standard as one could hope to find. I imagine there's a lot of GD&T in the newer editions.

GsT

This is the book I use, I bought it on www.abebooks.com for a few bucks. You can usually find a variety of versions at various price levels.View attachment 489089
Yup. Giesecke has always been the standard reference for drafting back in the day. I have at least three different editions of it around here somewhere.

I loved mechanical drawing when I was a kid, and would spend hours reading a much earlier version of Giesecke that was in my Dad's library. It was probably from the 40's, and had a black cloth cover. I think I was 9 or 10 when I asked for a drafting set for Christmas. Those skills served me well through three years of architecture school, subsequent many years of engineering school, and lucrative summer freelance drafting gigs up through about 1980. I still have my power table, though the Redhead has claimed it for laying out her stained glass projects. The parallel bar is long gone, however.

I started using an Intergraph standalone CAD system in the early 80's for designing highway signs, and learned several CAD systems including AutoCAD over the subsequent decades. But I stopped doing that a little too early for the current 3-D CAD packages that feed CNC and CAM machines directly. Nothing about any of those systems imposed any standard. Now, when I need a bit of drafting, I use CorelDRAW, which can draw in scale if you know it well. But it can't feed CNC and you still have to know how to draft.

These I did in Corel, but my drafting mentors would slap me upside the head for some of what's on these. I just drew them for my own use. The last one is the idler cam for my South Bend 14-1/2" lathe, measured up from the (broken but repaired) original, in case my repair doesn't hold. I used the dimensioning tool in Corel, so these were all drawn carefully to scale.

ramps1.png

ramps2.jpg

SB14-idler-cam.jpg

But, yup. Giesecke.

Rick "been the standard since Thermopylae" Denney

Last edited:
I had a CAD class in college, it was Prime Medusa, so that gives you an idea of how long ago it was! I don’t believe we used a text book, I think the professor printed handouts for everything that was needed.

I have been self teaching myself GD&T, I bought a reference that explains the concept, so I think I have a good combination with that and the Giesecke book.

I just ordered the 13th edition from eBay for $7. I have ordered from the seller before with good results so we shall see.

I had an jntro to drafting in high school. I enjoyed that class, just not enough to take more. I tried to spend more time in metal shop/ welding, electronics, and wood shop.

I self taught TurboCad to myself when I was in metal fabrication. I would layout railings and other projects as needed. When boss asked me to do shop drawings for a project, that made me stretch a bit.

I decided to take a college drafting class to see if I could learn a bit more. I picked up the required book a week ahead of time and was working thru it using my TurboCad program, even though the class was going to be AutoCad.

Teachers first comment rubbed me the wrong way. “Don’t read the book. I will teach you the better way.” I was like then why did I buy this $120 book?

And I was not happy a month later when she suggested that we cancel that nights class so everyone could go home and enjoy the nice fall weather before snow started. Everyone in the class but myself and one other “over 40” guy had no problem skipping. I myself had paid hard earned money and wanted the knowledge.

Next week, I asked the teacher how her night was, since it was dark by the time she had gotten home anyways that night.

I still do some drawings from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as reference, this is the other college text book I still have and use and it too is a very good book for drafting reference.

1715266476876.jpeg

I had an jntro to drafting in high school. I enjoyed that class, just not enough to take more. I tried to spend more time in metal shop/ welding, electronics, and wood shop.

I self taught TurboCad to myself when I was in metal fabrication. I would layout railings and other projects as needed. When boss asked me to do shop drawings for a project, that made me stretch a bit.

I decided to take a college drafting class to see if I could learn a bit more. I picked up the required book a week ahead of time and was working thru it using my TurboCad program, even though the class was going to be AutoCad.

Teachers first comment rubbed me the wrong way. “Don’t read the book. I will teach you the better way.” I was like then why did I buy this $120 book?

And I was not happy a month later when she suggested that we cancel that nights class so everyone could go home and enjoy the nice fall weather before snow started. Everyone in the class but myself and one other “over 40” guy had no problem skipping. I myself had paid hard earned money and wanted the knowledge.

Next week, I asked the teacher how her night was, since it was dark by the time she had gotten home anyways that night.

I still do some drawings from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of drafting is much like the martial arts, Wax on Wax off, its building good habits, learning a new language. I had been in the Industrial Arts Club, all 4 years of high school, which sponsored our yearly competition, my senior year we had to design our project, draw it up then the advanced students in the metal shop had to build it. There was a requirement of functionality and a minimum number of parts and all processes in the metal shop were available. We had to meet as a project team once a week, lead a small team and our grade was not completely based upon the final results on the build, we learned a great deal.

Back