Drill Bit Sharpening Jig Plans

I have the plans for that one. Just don't have the proper machines to make the thing. With my drill press miller it would take me too long a time to make. From all that I have read about that sharpener it does a perfect job every time.

As soon as I catch up a few projects already started, I am going to build another one but a little larger that will accept the ER20 collets and also 5C collets so I can also do large drills.

Actually there is not that much milling to building it. I had no mill when I made mine . I used my lathe and drill press. The small amount of milling was done on my lathe.

I don't have the milling attachment for my mini-lathe. But maybe I will look the plans over again.

I was just trying to remember because I know I did not have a mill when I built mine, and I don't think there really was much milling at all. I cut most of the parts with the saw and smooth them up with a file and square and polish them by rubbing them on sandpaper sitting on my granite bkock. Most of the work as I remember was turning, sawing, and drilling. I uses a file a lot for finish work. I can't remember anything I had to Mill on that grinder. That's not to say that there are a few operations a Mail would make it easier

I will be starting a new thread soon on this because I will be building another drill grinder that will use both ER 20 collets and 5C collets so to be able to sharpen drills up to 1" in diameter. I plan to use several features from other build variations of the drill grinder. I hope to start soon. I am still in the planning stage right now.

I will be starting a new thread soon on this because I will be building another drill grinder that will use both ER 20 collets and 5C collets so to be able to sharpen drills up to 1" in diameter. I plan to use several features from other build variations of the drill grinder. I hope to start soon. I am still in the planning stage right now.
I will be following your new thread.
Elmo

I understand how to grind a 4 facet drill, it's practically dummy proof, but how do you grind a split point? Are you essentially bringing the edge of the wheel right up to the center, but not passing over it?

I understand how to grind a 4 facet drill, it's practically dummy proof, but how do you grind a split point? Are you essentially bringing the edge of the wheel right up to the center, but not passing over it?
Essentially yes. The split point is a little tricky. It takes some practice. It is not as easy as the shepenining. I am still plying with it and trying to make it more fool proof.

Add me to the list of followers for this project as soon as it becomes available.

I have both the old and the new versions of the 750 Drill Doctor. I put their very coarse stone in the old one and use it for bits that need serious clean up before I move them to the new version which has their finest stone. I've been very pleased with the results of this set up but am now ready to move up to the next level of drill sharpening.

I have been eyeing Mr. Moran's 4/6 facet powered sharpener for some time also. I currently have an Atlas 2915 drill grinding jig that I have not yet used. It is very similar to the Delta unit that is shown on the gadgetbuilder site and is really only a fancier version of the cheap General jig. I obtained at a very low price on eBay a few years back, thinking that it might be a great jig, but I am not impressed. It is in brand new condition, which is nice, as none of the parts are missing. One of my previous employers had a Darex M5 drill sharpener, and I used it quite a bit. It did a fine job, but would be a bit expensive for my home shop, not to mention that they are no longer made or sold.

As for the powered sharpener that you built, Mark, I don't see a set of plans offered anywhere. So, either I missed something or else I am completely daft (a very real possibility :D). I will certainly be following along on your new thread covering the construction of your new sharpener.

Back