Drill Bit Sharpening Jig Plans

I know it took about a month before I found both issues of the Home Shop Machinist that had the plans. But after emailing the publisher about finding one of the issues they located one for me.

I see! I am not a subscriber to HSM, though I have considered it a few times. I may just have to inquire about purchasing the appropriate back issues and trying a one year subscription while I am at it. I checked out their article index and found that the two issues are Jan-Feb 2012 and Mar-Apr 2012 (for those that might be interested).

ON EDIT: Bad news fellas: The Jan-Feb 2012 issue is no longer available on the back issues page. It must have been a popular issue!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been eyeing Mr. Moran's 4/6 facet powered sharpener for some time also. I currently have an Atlas 2915 drill grinding jig that I have not yet used. It is very similar to the Delta unit that is shown on the gadgetbuilder site and is really only a fancier version of the cheap General jig. I obtained at a very low price on eBay a few years back, thinking that it might be a great jig, but I am not impressed. It is in brand new condition, which is nice, as none of the parts are missing. One of my previous employers had a Darex M5 drill sharpener, and I used it quite a bit. It did a fine job, but would be a bit expensive for my home shop, not to mention that they are no longer made or sold.

As for the powered sharpener that you built, Mark, I don't see a set of plans offered anywhere. So, either I missed something or else I am completely daft (a very real possibility :D). I will certainly be following along on your new thread covering the construction of your new sharpener.

I figured about eighty percent of the sharpener out from the photos and info on John Moran's website. I kindly asked him for the little missing information and he sent it to me.
As for this next one I am going to build, I am looking at a few options. I can follow John's plan fairly close with changes. Or, I can change a lot by using several features from the variations of the different builds that are pictured on his site. The latter is looking good, because a friend gave me an old Enco X Y table that is tight but needs cleaned up. The reason for using the table is I can make a grinder that is a combination of John's drill sharpener and a Cuttermaster clone T&C grinder. In other words, it will sharpen drills every bit as good as the drill grinder I built, but I can also put the air bearing on the table and sharpen end mills. If my fantasy works , this will replace the drill sharpener and the Bonnele grinder and be easier to build than either one of them were. Ahhhh.... Time will tell. I am gathering materials right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see! I am not a subscriber to HSM, though I have considered it a few times. I may just have to inquire about purchasing the appropriate back issues and trying a one year subscription while I am at it. I checked out their article index and found that the two issues are Jan-Feb 2012 and Mar-Apr 2012 (for those that might be interested).

ON EDIT: Bad news fellas: The Jan-Feb 2012 issue is no longer available on the back issues page. It must have been a popular issue!
Yes..... John' article on his drill sharpener made those two issues extremely sought after.
I believe, but will probably check with Mr Moran, but I think my new version of a combination grinder will be different enough to completely document the build with prints and not infringe on his proprietary design.

Go to "larrytheprinter" on ebay. If he can't get the back issues, no one can. Much cheaper than HSM.
"Billy G"

Go to "larrytheprinter" on ebay. If he can't get the back issues, no one can

Just checked that and didn't come up on ebay for me. I copy pasted so I know I didn't typo it. ???

Essentially yes. The split point is a little tricky. It takes some practice. It is not as easy as the shepenining. I am still plying with it and trying to make it more fool proof.

I might have to try my hand at designing a grinder, now that i understand how it's supposed to work.

As for the powered sharpener that you built, Mark, I don't see a set of plans offered anywhere. So, either I missed something or else I am completely daft (a very real possibility :D). I will certainly be following along on your new thread covering the construction of your new sharpener.

Me either!
Elmo

Remember, as soon as you invent a foolproof anything, they will come up with a better fool.

But I'll be watching the thread, too!

Sorry bout that, try this seller. larry-the-printer , my bad.

"Billy G"

Back