[Source] Drill Chuck Arbors

make sure at least one general use chuck goes on a straight shaft. You will eventually run into an issue of not being able to remove the r8 arbor with out moving the table to one side.

Does get kinda' expensive, doesn't it?

make sure at least one general use chuck goes on a straight shaft. You will eventually run into an issue of not being able to remove the r8 arbor with out moving the table to one side.

And cut the arbor to about one inch long. That's about all the grip that a R-8 collet has, so it doesn't need to be longer. Allows you the get the chuck in and out with minimum clearance.

Last edited:
Does get kinda' expensive, doesn't it?
Yes it dose
And cut the arbor to about one inch long. That's about all the grip that a R-8 collet has, so it doesn't need to be longer. Allows you the get the chuck in and out with minimum clearance.
Too bad they aren't sold one inch long , they might be cheaper.
I'll figure it all out tomorrow, don't want to order wrong one , and I'm getting kinda boggled
So Jacobs taper is the standard for all taper mount chucks ?.

So Jacobs taper is the standard for all taper mount chucks ?.

There are other tapers used on chucks, but the Jacobs tapers are pretty much the industry standard. I don't think I have actually ever seen another taper. Make sure the taper you buy matches your chuck, there are several different Jacobs tapers.

... might be a prob getting old ones off

I don't know if the Albrecht chucks have a thru hole. If so, you can use a drift punch to get the old arbor off.

Lacking that, and because some of the shanks look pretty thin, you probably can't use removal wedges (http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3982&category=
or http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3983&category=)

Your "Plan B" is therefore to saw or grind off the old shank relatively close to the chuck, drill and tap into the stub, and use any suitable pulling technique. I've had to resort to that.

Whatever you do, don't try to whang or wedge the shanks out of the chucks with hillbilly methods ... but you probably know better than that. Other readers might not.

I don't know if the Albrecht chucks have a thru hole. If so, you can use a drift punch to get the old arbor off.

Lacking that, and because some of the shanks look pretty thin, you probably can't use removal wedges (http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3982&category=
or http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3983&category=)

Your "Plan B" is therefore to saw or grind off the old shank relatively close to the chuck, drill and tap into the stub, and use any suitable pulling technique. I've had to resort to that.

Whatever you do, don't try to whang or wedge the shanks out of the chucks with hillbilly methods ... but you probably know better than that. Other readers might not.

That’s an idea but I would save that method for the last resort. Cutting off the arbor takes away all other options, sorry. I would make a collar that snugly fits over the straight shank of the arbor. Then mount/put this collar just above the chuck so the wedges fit well. Drill and pin the collar in place. Then wedge apart…Good Luck, Dave.

The problem with using an r8 shank on a drill chuck is having to remove the drill chuck from the spindle, if your in some tight spaces you have to drop the knee to the floor to remove that long arbor, I've been taught to use short straight shanks, I have a 3/4 on my albrecht, bout 1-1/2" long

Go figure ! Can't seem to find 3/4" straight to 4JT Albrecht or Jacobs arbors ,for the 18n super chuck ,checked Enco , Jacobs ,msc . Might have to go to 5/8 to 4jt
Wounder why they don't make them in 3/4" to 4jt ?
The Albrecht chucks have a j# stamped on the back ,hoping that's the mount j taper.
I'll try the collar , wedge method on the small ones . I'll cut the shanks down but what a waste
Do they have short shank arbors with JT mounts anywhere ?.
Going to have 2-4 extra Albrecht's with external rust ,but operate smooth if somebody wants them.
Thanks for the help
Derrick

There is no through hole in an albrecht chuck, use the wedges to get the arbor out, or, take it apart and you can drive it out once the lead screw is out of the way, Tom lipton oxtoolco has a video of a tear down rebuild of this chuck

I rebuilt my albrecht, nothing to it, extremely easy

Back