Drill Chuck in the QCTP

jlmanatee

Registered
Registered
My QCTP set came with a drill chuck and a holder for it. What is the advantage or need for a drill chuck in the tool post? The only thing I can think of is to be able to use the apron wheel to advance the drill into the work instead of using the tailstock.

I have never felt the need for a drill chuck on the toolpost, but as you say, either the hand wheel or the power feed could be used. The Takisawa would allow you to engage the power feed, advancing the drill chuck, and then stop feeding at a preset trip point when the right depth is reached. Can’t really do that with the tailstock chuck.

My QCTP set came with a drill chuck and a holder for it. What is the advantage or need for a drill chuck in the tool post? The only thing I can think of is to be able to use the apron wheel to advance the drill into the work instead of using the tailstock.

I also have such holder and have never used it . I do use an R8 holder mounted on the post at times for special boring applications .

I have a drill chuck set up to quickly mount it on my tool post. I made it for several reasons. The first: the tailstock on my mini-lathe was a POS, poorly aligned with problems that couldn't be adjusted out. It's pretty easy to line up the TP-mounted chuck so it's dead-center, every time.

The second: related to the first, the tailstock quill has a very limited range and I got really tired of relocating the TS as I step-drilled holes. You start with a short spotting drill, go to a slightly longer drill then have to move the whole TS back to fit the next-sized drill in. Repeat. Gaah. With the TP-mounted chuck I have the whole length of the bed to use. I also get the ability to precisely determine the depth of the hole I'm drilling.

It also doesn't hurt that the TP mounted chuck is much better than the one that came with the TS.

1: The qctp drill chuck can be adjusted to run very concentric to the spindle. This is especially useful for small drills that are sensitive to misalignment, as you can just indicate the drill in to ensure good concentricity for a given setup regardless of variables in the chuck etcetra.

2. You can use the dro to drill to much more accurate depth. If you don't have a dro with a tool library feature you have to re-center the chuck every time making it a lot less convenient. If you rotate the toolpost or compound you also kinda have to reset the chucks alignment so avoiding that also makes it a lot more convenient.

3. You won't be limited by quill travel as mentioned.

If you replace the compound with a solid riser block and always leave the toolpost in the same position, and you have a dro with a tool library feature the qctp-mounted drill chuck can basically completely replace the tailstock and be more convenient and accurate in the process, few people have that kind of setup thought.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I have this feature on my 19" Regal lathe, and use it frequently for drilling, tapping and reaming, it allows you to easily back out of the hole to clear chips, and I usually use power feed for drilling, also it is much easier changing tools with a heavy tailstock such as mine.

I have one, but found the overhang to be excessive

Last edited:
Aloris also makes one with the drill chuck permanently mounted, where the chuck sits way back on the front face of the holder, so that there is very little overhang.

Why would be the overhang be a problem, compared to a tailstock-mounted drill chuck? The forces due to drilling are on-axis. That should be a pretty "stiff" axis, so I'm wondering what other factors are in play. I'm not disputing the comment, just would like to know what the problem is.

I did run into an issue on my mini lathe (which I fixed), but I think that's a problem specific to that class of machine.

Back