Drill Chuck in the QCTP

There is also the option of hooking the TS to the carriage like a trailer.
That way the drill chuck is in the TS but it is run back and forth on the ways using the carriage.
There is a thread on this subject somewhere here on HM.

I have this feature on my 19" Regal lathe, and use it frequently for drilling, tapping and reaming, it allows you to easily back out of the hole to clear chips, and I usually use power feed for drilling, also it is much easier changing tools with a heavy tailstock such as mine.
Backing out would be much easier.

There is also the option of hooking the TS to the carriage like a trailer.
That way the drill chuck is in the TS but it is run back and forth on the ways using the carriage.
There is a thread on this subject somewhere here on HM.
A couple of lathes in the shop where I apprenticed were rigged up like that, but that rig and use combined with heavy feeds invites damage to the quill from spinning shanks and getting chips and debris stuck under the tailstock base with attendant wear and inaccuracy; these lathes had nearly 1/8" of shims between the base and the top part.

Are you saying that this method caused 1/8'' of wear between ways and tail stock?
I guess that spinnuing shanks and premature wear under the TS makes a case for respecting the limits of a particular set up.

Are you saying that this method caused 1/8'' of wear between ways and tail stock?
I guess that spinning shanks and premature wear under the TS makes a case for respecting the limits of a particular set up.
I am saying that this method, combined with benign neglect and hard use from the early 1940s to the mid 1960s working frequently with 3 shifts per day took their toll on machinery. I certainly would not reccomend it for cheap lightly built offshore machines.

I have a Morse taper holder for my BXA toolpost. When I try drilling using power feed the toolpost tends to rotate about its mounting bolt

I have a Morse taper holder for my BXA toolpost. When I try drilling using power feed the toolpost tends to rotate about its mounting bolt
That can mean two things, perhaps the tool is not properly sharpened, and/or, the tool post is not tight enough, I tighten my CA with about 4 ft of leverage/cheater.

Back