Drill press

Girlyharleygirl

Registered
Registered
Hi all - I’m quite new/green and this is my very first post. I’m hoping to get some advice on the best drill press or other tool that I should be using on my project. Currently I am using a hammer drill to make a 7/16” hole into various size stones (6-9” in diameter, 3-5” deep). I start with a 3/16” pilot hole and use 4 increasing in size drill bits. This system is working but I’m wondering what I could do to make this an easier process. I have seen drill presses on Craigslist and at estate sales but don’t have enough knowledge to make a proper purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you are just planning to drill rock, a drill press isn't your best option. I would either stick with what you have or get a bigger hammer drill.

Rand

Oddly enough I have drilled stone on a drill press, marble though which is pretty soft and easily drilled. I’m kind of guessing you’re working with something harder though, otherwise you would be using a hammer drill. The only other options that come to mind are verging into the realm of coring bits with are essentially annular cutters but with diamond tips. They have the capacity to drill (“core”, more precisely) to the depths you’re looking to achieve and could probably be driven by a decent drill press press although the speeds might be too fast. I’d do it wet using water as a flood coolant.

There are small diameter diamond coated bits made for putting holes through ceramic tile (think shower faucets here) but the tend to be a bit short. Maybe you could weld or braze on a shaft extension to get more depth, I don’t know. You’d need to play with one. The nice thing about them is the diamond particles are adhered to the outside of the cutter tube, so there would a clearance created to the cut and should allow for depth provided you could extend the driving shaft. Hmm, depth is limited by the back of the cutter, darn, you’d need to try to snap layers off as you go deeper if that’s possible. Coring hits solve the problem by being long tubes already.

What stone material are you fooling with, and what’s the purpose for the holes?

-frank

Stone is not like metal, Since you already have a hammer drill, just start with the 7/16 bit. (Assuming your hammer drill has the power for a 7/16 bit.) It is made for that. Masonry bits do not like trying to follow an existing hole.

The hammering action is not available on a drill press, It is the hammering on the point and front cutting edges that is getting the job done, The rest of the drill is just to get the dust out of the hole. The hammering shatters the rock into dust, it is not really cutting. That is why if you turn the hammer function off the going gets very slow.

A tool rental place may have a larger hammer drill like a Hilti and would make it easier for you. You have the right idea so larger maybe you can knock it out faster.

A hammer drill (HD) is the way to go. One aid might be to construct a vertical guide for the HD. I'm imagining re-purposing a drill press by removing the head and using the base, table and post, then rig up something to mount and guide the HD.

It's important to have a solid base under your rock. Imagine trying to use the HD with the rock sitting on a mattress. The hammering would produce a lot of bouncing and not much "hole".

I'm also not understanding why you're starting with 3/16" and then multiple increments up to 7/16". Is the HD too wimpy? Will the rock break if you use 7/16" to start?

Years ago it was common to buy a drill press "stand" and clamp your own hand drill onto it. I still see them show up on craigslist. Maybe they still build them(?). Would one of those work with your hammer drill mounted on it?

I have a Makita hammer drill with 3/8" chuck which I could see mounted to a drill stand if need be.
These stands were at one time fairly popular and you may be able to find one locally at a good price:

Attachments

• drill.PNG
    drill.PNG
    181 KB · Views: 26
A couple of points that have not been covered. First off, a drill press doesn't have the "hammer" capability. If it did, it would literally shake itself to pieces. Another is the lowest speed on a drill press is a relatively high speed for a masonry drill, excepting the very small ones. Mounting a "SDS" drill in a portable rig might work, but the base should be filled with concrete. Hammering against a hollow base will dissipate a lot of the force. There are other points but they have been covered above.

It must be assumed you are drilling a flat, or nearly flat material like a flagstone or slate. A "random" shape like a large rock would be a handful to hold steady enough to keep from cracking. A good "SDS" drill like a Hilti is the best bet. But they are a bit pricey. There are less expensive ones, but they won't hold up as well. The cost vs longevity curve is something only you can call. I have a "cheap" (not inexpensive, really cheap) SDS drill that has held up well enough for casual use. Continuous duty will take a higher toll.

All xlnt points but wish to add that the hammer strokes on my Makita are barely perceptible whereas my old huge Skil will loosen one's teeth.

Back