Drilling specific angles on round stock in mill

I agree with Bob that the angles are not at all critical in that application. However, I am guessing those holes are angled in 2 planes? That would complicate it a little.
I am not trying to dissuade you from your project but might I point you in another direction? Here's what I use for my tungsten grinder.

($55) https://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-96687.html

If you extract the motor and diamond wheel you get this:
1598712851298.png

I then made a simple cover and a guide. With the larger wheel this works amazingly well.
1598712916836.png

It is fairly compact and does not tie up my rotary tool. Please show us your work as you proceed on whichever path you choose.
Robert

As to if your quill will hit the table, it all depends on your setup and exactly what you have available. You may need to start with a longer piece and cut to length later in the process.

If the holes are angled in 2 planes then that complicates things a bunch. Especially if each hole is at a different angle.

I agree with Bob that the angles are not at all critical in that application. However, I am guessing those holes are angled in 2 planes? That would complicate it a little.
I am not trying to dissuade you from your project but might I point you in another direction? Here's what I use for my tungsten grinder.

($55) https://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-96687.html

If you extract the motor and diamond wheel you get this:
View attachment 335175

I then made a simple cover and a guide. With the larger wheel this works amazingly well.
View attachment 335176

It is fairly compact and does not tie up my rotary tool. Please show us your work as you proceed on whichever path you choose.
Robert

Good job on that hack. I love it! But yes on the holes being angled on 2 planes. That is so the tungsten from each of the size/angle inserts doesn't sharpen them all in the same spot on the diamond wheel. But I wouldn't worry too much if that turned out too complicated. My project started when I wrote to the guy on ebay and asked if he could make me one out of aluminum as his are all delrin which has been reported to melt in some cases (when you overheat it). He said no. But I liked his design and the Chinese already copied it and are his competition. I am not planning on all that. I was going to improve the design by having a pivoting insert holder that could be adjusted for the angle and all you would have to do is change the insert for the tungsten diameter. That was phase 2 of the project. I have some diamond wheels similar to the ones in the pic and mounted them on a bench grinder. They work fine but I was looking for more portable solution without buying a high dollar tungsten grinder. But your trick looks like it could be modified with my angled insert holder. I am going to pick up one of these and see what I can do. I am still going to work on my project too. Thanks for all the insight and info.

Last edited:
As to if your quill will hit the table, it all depends on your setup and exactly what you have available. You may need to start with a longer piece and cut to length later in the process.

If the holes are angled in 2 planes then that complicates things a bunch. Especially if each hole is at a different angle.

Yes, the holes are at 4 different angles. The guy that makes them using CNC has a video on the process but only shows the shell and not the hole drilling. Here is why I got interested: Watch the video of the CNC linked at the bottom:

Another quicker, faster, easier, cheaper way if angles are not critical would be to use a tool makers vise clamped in the mill vise at an angle. Could even get compound angles by clamping stock in tool makers vise on an angle.

As to not wanting to re-tram mill, make yourself a dual indicator device like this. Just 2 cheap indicators are plenty good! Makes tramming easy.

Aaron

tramming device.jpg

Another quicker, faster, easier, cheaper way if angles are not critical would be to use a tool makers vise clamped in the mill vise at an angle. Could even get compound angles by clamping stock in tool makers vise on an angle.

As to not wanting to re-tram mill, make yourself a dual indicator device like this. Just 2 cheap indicators are plenty good! Makes tramming easy.

Aaron

View attachment 335180
Looks like a nice tool to make for tramming. I have seen those for sale but they were more expensive than they needed to be. My first question would be, how do you calibrate the tool to zero before using it? I must be overlooking something simple. I may have it figured out. Zero the first indicator on a spot and rotate the tool 180 and zero the second indicator?

Last edited:
I have sharpened quite a lot of tungsten, by hand on an ordinary aluminum oxide grinding wheel, there is absolutely no need for an accurate angle, nor for fancy grinding wheels or fixtures; this is a solution in search of a problem!

I have sharpened quite a lot of tungsten, by hand on an ordinary aluminum oxide grinding wheel, there is absolutely no need for an accurate angle, nor for fancy grinding wheels or fixtures; this is a solution in search of a problem!
I too have sharpened all my tungstens in the past and currently on a bench grinder and weld fine like that. But I have noticed some days I must get lucky and sharpen one better and it welds so much nicer so I figured consistency on my grinding is needed. Or I just need another project. :dunno:

I also use a cheap Harbor Freight bench grinder with AO for grinding electrodes. That's all I use that one for. And I spin the electrode with a cordless drill.
Aaron

Attachments

• DSCF4463.JPG
    DSCF4463.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Back