Drilling through 2” of steel

I would go with a 1/4 or 5/16 first, then chew through it with the 5/8. Assuming a 5/8 pin I would recommend 41/64 or 21/32 drill bit. You need a little clearance, the drill bit might actually drill on size. Makes it a bit hard to install the pin.

I was actually thinking that since this would really be pushing the limit on my Drill press that I had doubt it could do this accurately, and would inevitably give me some extra clearance... Maybe I'll work up to 1/2 and measure it, and go from there.

it’s an old Delta Model 15.

I already have the bits in reduced shank so will try this method; and no, the solid extension is way overkill but the price was right (gift)
Thanks!

Rent a Mag drill set up for annular cutters?

a couple more pieces of advice......

1) Hold the part very securely!
lots of good ways:
-in a vise bolted to the table
-clamped down to the drill-press table
-if the part is long enough, put the "tail" of it against the left side of the drill-press column so it cannot be swung around

2) Beware of the drill bit grabbing the work, especially on "break thru" on the backside.
3) Wood under it will prevent the "arc of shame" found on so many drill-presses(example from web below).

...and Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!

-brino

1585244777325.png

Annular cutters need lots of HP for a 5/8 hole. I would start with 3/8" then 1/2" and finish with 5/8"
It's just a hitch pin, don't get hung up wandering, or accuracy.

Rent a Mag drill set up for annular cutters?
Or Travers is having a one-day sale...

$638 with the code word DEAL at check out. It's normally $788.

The drilling strategy depends a lot on the amount of power your drill press has. Ideally you would drill with the 5/8" drill but that requires a fair amount of torque. With a 1 hp press turning at 650 rpm, you may be challenging the press to drill in a single pass. A pilot hole will greastly reduce the amount of down force and torque required.required. A 3/16" to 1/4" pilot hole should suffice. From there, I would go to the 5/8" drill. If you are having trouble pushing it through, you can go to aqnd intermediate size. I would try to stay away from too small an increment as you are cutting with only a small part of the drill and it is more likely to grab. Reducing down force caqn cause rubbing and accelerated drill wear.

That drill press table photo should be rotated 180 degrees. It has way too much of a positive attitude as shown.

Back