Drilling With A Mini Lathe

If you use your 3 jaw chuck, I suggest you turn to the OD of the flange, then turn the smaller OD to size, then drill and then bore to final ID. Part it off a bit long and face the flange of the larger OD to bring it to final length. This will give you the best chance to keep the bore concentric with the OD.

If this is the first piece you are boring then I suggest you spend some time practicing. Boring is not difficult but there is a bit more to it than you might think.

Thanks, I will also no doubt be practicing a bit with the lathe. Luckily small lots of auminum bar is inexpensize. I have no doubt I may make a few mistakes. I've been around machining most of my life, but realize that's not the same as doing it. I'm here to learn, and do appreciate everyone's input.

Welcome to the HM, if you have a drill chuck for the lathe and it’s ½” capacity. And you have a ½” drill bit. Then just use that. And bore it out, simple enough. Don’t buy a larger drill bit. Anyway, your lathe is on the small side for drilling the holes you are talking about. You could break something trying…Dave

Yes, I'm going to have to keep myself in check and realize the limitations of some things with this little guy I bought. As well I need to keep the operations at a more relaxed speed, and take things slow with it.

Yes, I'm going to have to keep myself in check and realize the limitations of some things with this little guy I bought. As well I need to keep the operations at a more relaxed speed, and take things slow with it.
Let the machine and your set-up talk to you when running. You will quickly learn good noise from bad noise. You will learn to look at the chips you are making and if the machine and cutter are happily working together. Sometimes your nose is part of the input as well. And always be safe, please wear safety glasses, no dangling clothes or hair, pay attention…Dave

Most of my experience drilling on the lathe is in steel, not aluminum. With my 13x40 lathe, 2 HP, and 3MT tailstock, I start getting pretty nervous with drilling steel at around 1 1/2", from experience... I have no experience on a mini lathe, but 7/8", even in aluminum, seems like a lot to drill safely on a 7x12. Be careful, know when to switch to the boring bar, hopefully before you feel the puckering starting. The boring bar will slow down the depth of cut, but will also end the drama.

Back