DRILLS DRILLS DRILLS .

I have at least two sets of sae up to half inch in the metal hout boxes. Letter sets x2 , numbers 1-60 x2 , and tiny up to 80 x2 . I don't have any metric ,,,yet,,, but have a large box with all three sets , silver demings up to an inch no box , many other drills including morse taper bits. Also the over under reamers set up to 1/2" , adjustable reamers set in wood box . Special drills separate left hand sets cobalt , step drills, carbide even masonry drills. All the boxed sets are kept in tool box drawers in two different boxes. Over the lathe I keep loose drills in a metal stand up to 1/2" and the taper drills there too. Very organised for me. I'm watching for stub drill sets and metric .

Stub drills would be a set id like to get actually for a spare set

You never know what will show up when........ This project showed up and struck a chord with my memories about this passage regarding needing good drill cases. I will concede it doesn't fit many of our needs, but........ Now many of my Huot cases were bought with little concern about cost. And when something fits, little thought is given beyond replacing it with a good one at some future(unknown) date. While not necessarily suitable for shop use, it does provide a modicum of protection for the ones that fit. I have several sets that might work, with a little thought. I have some in folded sheet metal no heavier than flashing tin. And some in Chinese made wooden boxes.
Behold: http://www.instructables.com/id/Wel...-Case/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email
It ain't an end all do all but may help someone in a bind.
Bill Hudson​

like Bill, I just have some Huot cases and for smaller bits just keep 5 or so around at a time, Larger ones I resharpen but often have 2x. Sometimes when I finish using a bit a replace it in the drawer right away. More often I am less organized and just leave it in the chuck until the chuck is needed again or just put the used drill bit on the work bench then periodically I go through the pile of used bits to put them back in the proper drawer. I have recently started buying Short Length Drill bits for general use as I find it is rare that I need to drill deep holes.

Back