Drills

Status
Not open for further replies.
What part of the bolded and italicized word "basic" did you not understand. The other reason I gave it was because it could be downloaded without a login. You can get the exact same PDF from Starrett, but you need to make a login to get it.

O really, Will a picture do, or do you need part numbers as well?

View attachment 110082
My mistake and I apologize, I spend a good deal of time with Mad Inventors reinventing the wheel, sign this Nondisclousre contract, sure, why not.
The next year is spent explaining why you simply cannot manufacture it his way at the cost that he is comfortable with, this is when the argument begins.

My patience grows thin. All questions have been answered as they were asked. All theory has been proven. Enough already.

"Billy G" --- Global Moderator.

Derrick,

Since everyone has spoken, I'm going to throw in my two bits worth.
I find several older sets of fractional, number, and letter drills on eBay quite often. I haven't yet bought a Chinese set per say. Most all are made by known reliable USA manufactures. Most of the drills in the sets are new and never been used. Only a few I had to sharpen. These sets I've bought for in the $20-30 range. Not too bad for good nice sets of drill bits.
I do a variety of hole drilling that requires various sizes of drill bits, not just tap drill sizes. Find it handy to have number drills for cleaning out odd size holes, and use with smaller reamers and tapered pin reamers.
Ken

I hadn't read this whole thread till now. When I got to the rag trick I smiled. That IS the way it was done and it STILL works, the rag type is what your shop rags are. We used prewashed cotton. I was taught that as an apprentice. As far as don't buy sets, it's a personal thing. My sets are all Cobalt. I won't buy imports, again a personal thing. Never had a problem with variation.

"Billy G"

Can you quantify what you describe as "works"? What tap? Please describe the germane factors of the process. Can you site a reference to a reputable publication on the subject? I haven't found any.

Can you quantify what you describe as "works"? What tap? Please describe the germane factors of the process. Can you site a reference to a reputable publication on the subject? I haven't found any.

Time to start a new thread....

Sorry, I was never given the particulars on how this works, at the time I was taught to just do what I was told and it did in fact work. Since you already have it in your mind that it is a myth why should I try to change that. There were and are times that questions need not be asked nor answered, You have seen two other people besides me attest to the validity of this process. Thank you Ken, I agree. One more thing, I have over 40 years in the trades and have learned many tricks that just flat work.

Consider this thread closed for now.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back