DRO advice for lathe?

I agree with buying with a dealer that offers support and a warranty. I have a EL700 DRO (purchased years ago from Dro Pros) on my mill which is essentially the same as the MX200, the latest model is the EL-750 which has some software changes/new functions. The display and menu system is great, it is a touch screen so you do not have the tactile button feel and they can get a bit finicky if your fingers are greasy/wet. The other issues they need to be resolved with the MX200 DRO's is that the feed rate is not accurate and the display refresh rate is painfully slow (at least reported recently). I do not have those issues with my EL700

Thanks for all the info/input. I think the EL700/750 is out of my price range... at least based on prices of the DROPros.com site, starts at $1800 for the kit... and I have followed the recent MX200L thread... makes me a little nervous.... if that's common, not worth the extra then. Their MX-100 would likely be good enough, as much as I'd prefer an LCD screen.... or my own install, the Ditron D80 looks great, but support and only purchased via amazon is not my preference.

And for resetting my DRO when I turn on/off the unit...I'll just have to come up with what works best for me then, many 'good' ways I gather.. I just want to ensure my primary turning tool on the X axis to be zero when it's actually at the center point of round stock.... getting to +- a few thousandths would likely suffice for me.... I have a LOT to learn before I try master anything sub .001.

the Ditron D80 looks great, but support and only purchased via amazon is not my preference.
For the record, I got my D80 from eBay, and the seller turned out to be the factory in China. I got excellent and prompt support from them, given the overnight delay on emails. The factory email is included in the D80 shipping box.

For the record, I got my D80 from eBay, and the seller turned out to be the factory in China. I got excellent and prompt support from them, given the overnight delay on emails. The factory email is included in the D80 shipping box.
Yea, ebay comes up when you search "Ditron D80" and I found the Ditron D80 product site, http://www.dcoee.com/page188?product_id=6&brd=1 but can't seem to pull up the manual.. Looks like a intuitive interface... but would really like to find the manual. Will search youtube late.

I have the EL400 with magnetic scales from DROPros on my 1340GT and it's been fine. It doesn't come close to the quality of the Newall I have onn my mill, but it works and I prefer the tactile sense of knowing when the button you've pushed has been accepted (like zeroing an axis). I use the tool position library all the time, but I do not turn off the AC power to the DRO when I shut down the lathe and it's control system. Although I have not needed it, DROPros is well known for post sales support.

I have the EL400 with magnetic scales from DROPros on my 1340GT and it's been fine. It doesn't come close to the quality of the Newall I have onn my mill, but it works and I prefer the tactile sense of knowing when the button you've pushed has been accepted (like zeroing an axis). I use the tool position library all the time, but I do not turn off the AC power to the DRO when I shut down the lathe and it's control system. Although I have not needed it, DROPros is well known for post sales support.
Thanks, the EL400 and the PM-100L look like great purpose made just for the common lathe stuff.... I like the single button push to zero either axis. At spending $800 for the PM-100L, I'm actually thinking of jumping up to the PM-200L for the screen display only... I guess the other benefit is easier to use menu and calculator function since the screen can do a lot more than just the LED numerical displays.

I kind of wish either of these two could take input for spindle RPM input... would be nice to see that as well, though, not sure it really adds much.

Thanks, the EL400 and the PM-100L look like great purpose made just for the common lathe stuff.... I like the single button push to zero either axis. At spending $800 for the PM-100L, I'm actually thinking of jumping up to the PM-200L for the screen display only... I guess the other benefit is easier to use menu and calculator function since the screen can do a lot more than just the LED numerical displays.

I kind of wish either of these two could take input for spindle RPM input... would be nice to see that as well, though, not sure it really adds much.
Personally, I think you are putting too much emphasis on the display and it’s additional features. “Shiny objects” are always attractive, but beyond what you call “basic lathe stuff” what are you expecting to do? I do advanced work on my 1340GT, including employing the tool library (which few others use) and have not found the EL400 lacking considering it is in a different league quality and documentation wise from my Newall DROs costing 4x more. If you want to see my DRO installation on my 1340GT, have a look at this build log and accompanying descriptions.

Last edited:
Personally, I think you are putting too much emphasis on the display and it’s additional features. “Shiny objects” are always attractive, but beyond what you call “basic lathe stuff” what are you expecting to do?
Definitely swayed by the "shiney objects". To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm expecting it to do beyond the basics, likely nothing. However, from the MX-100L (EL400) to the MX-200L (EL700), it goes from $800 to $1000. It seems most prefer the LCD screen just for clarity and glare issues, so if nothing else, the readability is "nicer"... I guess clarity is in the eye of the beholder. So just $200, may be worth it only for that.

I do find myself constantly going to my phone for the calculator function... so having a nice calculator function on my DRO that is easy to use seems very functional. And if I can easy input the results of a calculation to the DRO on either axis that would be fantastic. I believe that ability is on just about every DRO as well... just seems the LCD screen version are simpler to use.

I imagine, I might use the tool offsets as I gain experience and have multiple parts I want to repeat with a given setup... but time will tell.

If you want to see my DRO installation on my 1340GT, have a look at this build log and accompanying descriptions.
@davidpbest Thanks for the detailed photos on your 1340GT DRO install... I'm contemplating having PM install it for me but to save the $300 I may do it myself.

In regards to accessing the cross slide locking screw, any other ways to retain access to it? Or is it really the only and best way to do it like you have... put a gap and switch the locking screw to a hex headed bolt?

PM will not install with spacers for a gap... I would have to unmount and add the spacers myself to the scale and reading head. They'll won't install drag chain and I think that is a great way to run the cables and keep all the swarf off of them... certainly more involved though.

1659383807664.png

1659384220781.png

@davidpbest Thanks for the detailed photos on your 1340GT DRO install... I'm contemplating having PM install it for me but to save the $300 I may do it myself.

In regards to accessing the cross slide locking screw, any other ways to retain access to it? Or is it really the only and best way to do it like you have... put a gap and switch the locking screw to a hex headed bolt?
You can install the scale and encoder on the chuck-side of the cross slide - that will free up the right side for access to the locking screw and allow the tailstock to be positioned closer to the tool post. The downside is that the DRO encoder/scale gets more exposure to chips and coolant and potentially damage by the chuck or rotating part. There are several examples of this type of install on H-M if you search around. I would always choose to do the DRO install myself - posts here (and Practical Machinist) suggest the distributor (PM, Eisen, Acra, etc.) do a pretty quick-and-dirty install.

Back