DRO advice for lathe?

Must have gotten the exchange rate backwards, oh well. see where it goes.
Yea, well, I guess lately the GBP and USD has flip flopped on which one is stronger... plus, mentally thinking of prices from just 12 months ago is useless... between shipping, inflation, it's hard to know what things cost just 2 years ago.

I used an Igaging Absolute scale on the tailstock and it worked fine.
Yes, that was an option I'm considering... This is just as good I guess (if not better) than trying to hook it up to the DRO... one less cable that needs to run back to the DRO (that's the better part)...

If I want 3 axis lathe DRO, machine-dro is my go to and is less than PM's MX-200 2 axis.... as usual, it'll come down to what I'm comfortable with for support/warranty.

Ya know, my guess is that I don't need 1 micron on the z or y axis, just the X cross slide access, I can save $50 right there.... PayPal (just based on currency conversion from adds about $48 to it.... my guess is I can't get around that.

$715 GPB should be $861 ... I don't usually buy direction from overseas to be confronted with currency rates so maybe it's normal to have a fee on top of it.... hopefully, I don't get hit with another fee when it get's here through customs.

you always get gouged on exchange rates or fees and need to build that in to the math. you are correct on the Z axis but I'd get the 1 um on the short scales. Gives me the flexibility to swap on other machines that can benefit from it. Not a big deal for the lathe tailstock or compound though. Dave

you always get gouged on exchange rates or fees and need to build that in to the math. you are correct on the Z axis but I'd get the 1 um on the short scales. Gives me the flexibility to swap on other machines that can benefit from it. Not a big deal for the lathe tailstock or compound though. Dave
I finding that out! Still cheaper than PM though to my doorstep and I get an extra scale. Though, I'd actually prefer to buy from PM, I've been very satisfied with their support so far... given, I'm still pre-delivery on my machine.

For sure 1 micron on the X cross slide... but since I'll be cutting the the 3rd scale pretty short for tail stock, I'll never swap to another machine... though, the idea is good. So it's either 1 micron on all or save $50 and 1 micron for cross slide and 5 micron for tail stock and z axis.

Jo Shepard at Allendale ( M dro ) is very good to deal with too. I'd trust her for support. I do think there is cost cutting compared to a Dro Pro similar set up but not enough to get me to pay the extra. Dave

A 1 micron scale on all axis will drive you nuts with 4-5 digits. The main reason for needing it on the cross slide is that in diameter mode it doubles the actual movement so the DRO jumps in 0.0004" increments, and the scale error doubles and so does the calculation errors. End of the day is you get some weird numbers and your errors can go up significantly. My DRO originally was specified as a 1 micron cross slide, but I just couldn't get accuracy at the 0.001" level, so I checked the scale and it ended up they shipped a 5 micron scale. PM/QMT sent me a 1 micron and there was no longer a problem. I would see where things are when you are close to getting your lathe, a lot can change until then, or they run out of DRO's and you use the dials.

FYI the magnetic scales are the same, it is only the read head which is the higher resolution and also represents 90% of the cost of the scale.

PM/QMT in my opinion has the best service at this level of machines, nobody is perfect and not everyone can be satisfied.

About a year ago, I went with what mksj recommended on both my mill and lathe and have been over-the-top satisfied with both. I like what Mark did on his tail-stock. Mine is a little more complicated to build but probably not any more accurate than his. Here's a link:

I agree with Beckerkumm about the mounting brackets. The older style, which is what came with my kits, is a little cheesy but functional. I ended up modifying and/or fabricating - whatever was necessary to make them work. Interesting to hear that they've upgraded - maybe they're better now.

Bottom line: I'd buy both again in a heartbeat. They are MUCH nicer than the glass scales that they replaced. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Regards

Jo Shepard at Allendale ( M dro ) is very good to deal with too. I'd trust her for support. I do think there is cost cutting compared to a Dro Pro similar set up but not enough to get me to pay the extra. Dave
Ditto.

A 1 micron scale on all axis will drive you nuts with 4-5 digits
Is that because it "flickers" or rather, so sensitive that the 4 and 5 digits are constantly moving? I thought on the MX-200 is showed in the manual you can adjust how many digits to display, I read the ES-12C manual and I don' think that's an option, likely 4 digits when in inch mode. Maybe that was a setting in Touch DRO... I've gone through just about all the manuals for these, likely getting them crisscrossed on features.

I guess more/better is not always "better"... a higher resolution scale read head when is not of much benefit.... I doubt I'll need to turn a shoulder to the 1 micron level of accuracy.... right now, I'll be happy with +- a few thousandths and it saves me $50 going with 2 at 5 micron and 1 a 1 micron for scales/read heads.

My DRO originally was specified as a 1 micron cross slide, but I just couldn't get accuracy at the 0.001" level, so I checked the scale and it ended up they shipped a 5 micron scale.
That makes sense, looks like the scale (or more correctly the read head) resolution needs to match what's configured in the DRO head, seems like all DRO's that's a setup config you need to make sure it right.

I would see where things are when you are close to getting your lathe, a lot can change until then, or they run out of DRO's and you use the dials.
Cart before the horse on this one, I'll likely order my DRO now, if it's from Machine-DRO so I know I'll have it... if I just go with MX-200, I'll just pick it up with lathe when it comes in.

PM/QMT in my opinion has the best service at this level of machines, nobody is perfect and not everyone can be satisfied.
No doubt there... I have asked them so many questions (as well as every on this forum) and they are super quick to respond, even had a couple calls with sales and tech support. Without a doubt their support is the main reason, amongst them having a higher quality lathe in a small package is why I'm getting most of the biggies from them... DRO I'm on the fence. What's I can save on the ES-12C over the MX-200L and installing myself, I could get PM's 4 jaw chuck. Though, my stand/workstation setup is starting to snowball into really expensive as well.

I wish their MX-200 would be like all the other DROS out there... pick how many scales and lengths and resolutions and you decide what machine it goes on... it's a bummer I cannot get a 3 axis lathe DRO from them.

About a year ago, I went with what mksj recommended on both my mill and lathe and have been over-the-top satisfied with both. I like what Mark did on his tail-stock. Mine is a little more complicated to build but probably not any more accurate than his. Here's a link:

I agree with Beckerkumm about the mounting brackets. The older style, which is what came with my kits, is a little cheesy but functional. I ended up modifying and/or fabricating - whatever was necessary to make them work. Interesting to hear that they've upgraded - maybe they're better now.

Bottom line: I'd buy both again in a heartbeat. They are MUCH nicer than the glass scales that they replaced. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Regards
Nice setup on tailstock, I like the magnet mount and how it's a magnet attached to the fixed quill end, I have a digital scale on my table saw and it uses a magnet to keep the fence connected to the scale read head... for now what you have would be out of my buildability, no mill here yet.... though, seems like that will be on the horizon if I keep digging into this metal machining fab stuff.

If I go through with my ES-12C DRO order I guess I'll hope for better brackets, but either way I'll make it work. From the pics on their site looks like the standard bracket setup from just about any of the DRO kits.

Reactions: tjb
Back