DRO advice for lathe?

I've got the Eason that came on my PM1440 in 2016. Takes a minimum of button pushing to do most anything. Display is bright and easy to read.
I bought a 3 axis model Eason for my 9X49 Jet mill a couple of years ago. Works great all sorts of functions. More functions are used on a mill. I'd hate to go back to not having either DRO. They came with excellent user manuals.

[QUOTE="skcncx, post: 969905, member: 70275"
I wish their MX-200 would be like all the other DROS out there... pick how many scales and lengths and resolutions and you decide what machine it goes on... it's a bummer I cannot get a 3 axis lathe DRO from them.
[/QUOTE]

I’m almost positive my MX-200 DRO has lathe or mill selections in the config menu. I am having a hard time understanding why you could not order a 3 axis Mx-200 and select Lathe when setting it up. My only guess is the 3 axis lathes won’t have a 1 micron encoder, and they may be able to offer the dros at such a good price due to packaging from the factory, but bottom line, I think it can be done.

I’m almost positive my MX-200 DRO has lathe or mill selections in the config menu. I am having a hard time understanding why you could not order a 3 axis Mx-200 and select Lathe when setting it up. My only guess is the 3 axis lathes won’t have a 1 micron encoder, and they may be able to offer the dros at such a good price due to packaging from the factory, but bottom line, I think it can be done.
I asked this very question to PM's sales support, see question and response below from Matt, not sure if that's "the owner" Matt or not.

It's hard to tell if their MX-200L and MX-200M are different in meaningful ways, they definitely gave them different model numbers. From a cost, the Machine-DRO in the UK for the Easson 12B/C is $300 cheaper with all scales upgraded to 1 micron than their MX-200M 3 axis. Even more when I downgrade two scales to 5 micron and the scales are longer as well.

For lathe, the MX-200M has the longest scale of 36"... so, longer lathe, no luck.

My Question
Can I purchase the MX-200M 3 axis DRO but with scale lengths and the 1UM cross slide scale resolution for the PM-1236T?

I’d like to use the 3rd axis for the tail stock quill.

If the MagXAct is like every other DRO head unit the only difference is the number of axis inputs on the back. The software is identical and can be setup as a “lathe” machine in setup.

Their response
No, the 3 axis is a mill version only, not switchable like some, and we only sell them as they are shown as a kit. Our LCD DRO can be change from lathe, mill, EDM, etc. but that does not work with the Magnetic scales.
Some of this statement seems be contradicting itself... either way, it won't work or is cost effective. If the MX-200L lathe version only has 2 axis inputs on the head unit, you can't buy a 3rd scale and use it. They don't show the back side on their site. If you can't buy their 3 axis mill with lengths for your lathe, then it's certainly not cost effective. As you'd have to buy the kit and then buy an additional set of scales for either additional length and or if you want 1 micron read head for the cross slide which seems to be critical if working in diameter mode.

It's likely they just have a very specific setup with their kits.. I would suggest anyone digging deep to talk directly to PM.. this is JUST my email and their response... I may have asked the question incorrectly and may have gotten answer that is off or not accurate.

EDIT... When their response reads "Our LCD DRO can be change from lathe, mill, EDM etc but does not work with magnetic scales", they must (likely) be referring to their lesser expensive LCD dro which is only sold with glass scales.

It would be nicer if the scales were separate from the head unit and you could purchase them separately. Though, probably coming from different sources and pin outs and software is different as to what it supports, so I do get it.

Last edited:
FYI, DRO's can be universal or they can be machine specific. If you look at the mainstream DRO manufactures/distributors, you pay more for if you want additional scale inputs. Most likely the electronics are there but the socket and sometimes the keys are not there. That happened with my first Easson ES-12 which I bought from PM/QMT for my lathe, I figured they all came with 3 inputs but it only had two. This was also the case of my Acu-Rite DRO that I purchased for my first mill. Same with many of the DRO Pros units. Vendors that primarily sell DRO's/measurement instruments have the ability to build custom kits. Manufacturers that install DRO's on machines, usually do not give you that choice and may only use one or two DRO models/brands. So I see no reason for QMT/PM to pay extra for 3 or 4 axis DRO units, that the vast majority of buyers would never use. As mentioned you can go to the DRO distributors and order what you want, DRO Pros carries the EL700/750, but you pay extra for the 3rd and 4th inputs. At the end of the day so much time is spent answering peoples questions, at some point I wonder how they can make enough money vs. the employee cost for time spent providing information relative to each unit that they sell.

Some pics of my MX-200M today.

Changed the config to "Lathe" I did not change anything like X to diameter vs radius, nor do I have 1 micron scales, but I see no reason why this can not be done.

tempImagecPpdjS.jpg

tempImagePDXyG7.jpg

FYI, DRO's can be universal or they can be machine specific. If you look at the mainstream DRO manufactures/distributors, you pay more for if you want additional scale inputs. Most likely the electronics are there but the socket and sometimes the keys are not there. That happened with my first Easson ES-12 which I bought from PM/QMT for my lathe, I figured they all came with 3 inputs but it only had two. This was also the case of my Acu-Rite DRO that I purchased for my first mill. Same with many of the DRO Pros units. Vendors that primarily sell DRO's/measurement instruments have the ability to build custom kits. Manufacturers that install DRO's on machines, usually do not give you that choice and may only use one or two DRO models/brands. So I see no reason for QMT/PM to pay extra for 3 or 4 axis DRO units, that the vast majority of buyers would never use. As mentioned you can go to the DRO distributors and order what you want, DRO Pros carries the EL700/750, but you pay extra for the 3rd and 4th inputs. At the end of the day so much time is spent answering peoples questions, at some point I wonder how they can make enough money vs. the employee cost for time spent providing information relative to each unit that they sell.
Yep, totally understand, just a lot to wade though as a newcomer to all of this. There are many similarities and many critical differences between brands and re-sellers even for the same head unit. It makes complete sense for PM to simplify offerings and packages. If the MX-200 is equivalent in all most ways to the EL700/750 for a given machine then PM's version is a great deal.

I reached out to PM since I was preferring them for the DRO with my lathe order, but I'm landing on wanting the 3rd axis for tail stock. So for now I'm pretty sure the 3 axis Eassson ES-12C with just one scale at 1 micron will be the way I go. That's about $860 USD shipped to my door. DITON D80 seems nice as well and is even less at around $600 shipped to door. My guess is the overall quality between EL700/750, MX-200, Easson 12B/C and Ditron D80 are all in the same ball park. They are all good but none are at the "Newall" quality I hear about. Comes down to support and can you get it configured the way you want to.

In regards to cost of business to sell, support and answer questions, I do sympathize with the cost just to get the info out and deal with us. PM by far has more info on their site and self service information, coupled with reliable and quick support. You can't go wrong with working PM.

In many cases (broadly speaking in many industries) the lack of readily available product information is frustrating... I really don't want to take up a persons time if the information could easily be downloaded and read. In the case of Ditron I had to ask twice for the manual. I can order it the way I want but never receive an itemized quote/bill. Maybe I'm the only one that will read the full manual and install guide before I buy something.

Some pics of my MX-200M today.

Changed the config to "Lathe"
Yea, not surprised and I would have expected that based on how all the other DRO head units work and setup in their menus.

PM does not sell their MX-200 in a package that is suitable for what I want on my lathe (an on order PM-1236T). I'd have to buy another 1 micro reader head and possibly a longer scale for the Z axis. Neither of which they offer by themselves.

I'd imagine they only want to sell and support their specific packages... even if the hardware and software on these units can do more. If I were them, I'd probably do the same thing.

For those that have used both the Easson 12B/C and the MagXact M-200... are the button styles different? Either the soft menu buttons or the calculator/specific labeled buttons?

Just from what I've seen so far it looks like you put a clear bag over the Easson 12B for protection but the MagXAct 200 you apply a common phone/tablet screen protector. Looks like the entire MX-200 display is glass, even if just a portion is truly dynamic display. While the Easson 12B's buttons are more mechanical in nature and therefore don't lend themselves to tablet style screen protectors.

Easson ES-12C on machine-dro.co.uk indicates... "Durable and wipe clean front panel graphic overlay with PCB mount switches"

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I ended up ordering the Aikron A30 DRO.

This looks very similar to the Ditron D80 interface and button layout. Can buy as 1-4 axis with RPM and touch probe inputs as well. They actually have an Aikron A30P but that is the cheaper version (not by much though) to the Aikron A30. The A30P does not support touch probe.

As mentioned in other threads, MachineToolProducts.com out of Indiana switched from the Ditron to the Aikron line and according to them it's much better...I can't quantify that though, so could be all "talk". If you want to order the Aikron A30 with upgraded scales, 1 micron or longer/different lengths they are just ordering it and shipping it direct from https://www.aikrondro.com which you can order directly from. They even gave me the "8ctypbg6" discount code to share as well. That knocked off $40 on my order.

On the aikrondro.com site, you can also easily order your scales and head unit separately and pick and choose glass, vs magnetic and various scale sizes and which resolution you want with them all ala-carte. They responded very quickly with all my questions as well.

It's worth looking into at least, it's another DRO option out there I don't see a lot of feedback on. I just decided to go for it and see how it turns out. Still wish I could have ordered from PM directly but wanted the 3rd axis and since the RPM function comes with it, why not.

It'll be awhile before I can post any feedback to how fast it arrives, did I received everything as ordered and when setup on lathe how does it function and overall quality and accuracy.... this will come from a beginner's perspective for sure!

the RPM function comes with it
I don't even know what the RPM function is. Sounds like a tachometer?? My Easons have a travel speed function that is easy to use, if you were doing production work and wanted to have all parts have the same mill marks it would seem useful. But as a hobbyist??

Back