DRO for PM 1022/1030 lathe?

Jus Lurning

Registered
Registered
Hi,
I am interested in buying a Precision Matthews 1022 or 1030 lathe and have been waiting for them to post info about the DRO option they offer.

I wrote an email yesterday asking if any info was available, and the answer advised me to wait for more info to be published.

I would like to consider ordering the lathe with the DRO optioned upgrade, but can't seem to find any info about what you get for the upgrade price.

I am wondering if anyone here has purchased one of these lathes with the DRO option and if they can tell me a little bit about what they got for the extra cost.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Is that for the 2017 era Optical Scale DRO's, the Updated Optical Scale DRO's or the new New Magnetic Scale DRO's?

I am primarily interested in figuring out what you get when you click the checkbox on the PM website and get the included DRO with a 1022 or 1030.

Here is what I have learned to date:

"We are currently working on our DRO webpages for our Updated Optical Scale DRO's and our New Magnetic Scale DRO's. We hope to have their webpages done very soon. Please keep checking our website for all updated and new information pertaining to our DRO's will be listed there."

I bought my lathe a couple of months ago. They are optical scales (don't know what version). I didn't know that they were changing.

Thanks for explaining.

I became interested in purchasing a 1022/103 a couple months ago and observed this note on the their website:

" Now also available with 2 axis Digital Readout Pre Installed. Please choose the model you want w/2axDRO from the drop down box above to choose this model if you would like it to come with DRO Installed (Full featured DRO, more information coming soon)"

I have been checking back regularly. I have noticed that in the Lathe Accessory section of their website they offer both optical and magnetic 2 axis DRO systems.

Yesterday I sent an email inquiry with this question:

"Do you have any info which you can share about the DRO system that is included with the option?"

It seemed like a reasonable pre sales question, but the reply did not further my understanding.

"We are currently working on our DRO webpages for our Updated Optical Scale DRO's and our New Magnetic Scale DRO's. We hope to have their webpages done very soon. Please keep checking our website for all updated and new information pertaining to our DRO's will be listed there."

I had hoped that someone here might know the details.

I wanted to learn the specifics of what ever system is anticipated to ship with an order placed today? for a position in the back order que.

It seems like a phone call may be the next best step.

Thank you.

Each to his own but I am very hesitant to buy from a vendor that doesn't provide complete and detailed descriptions of what I am buying. I understand that PM is generally held in high regard but their website could use a good makeover to make it more user friendly.

Each to his own but I am very hesitant to buy from a vendor that doesn't provide complete and detailed descriptions of what I am buying. I understand that PM is generally held in high regard but their website could use a good makeover to make it more user friendly.

Just call or email. They respond promptly. Or the owner might answer and talk you in to spending more money.

Machine tools are a whole other level of customer service. PM is the top of the heap. I’m trying to buy a Sharp mill and it’s been an adventure just getting an email returned or someone to pick the phone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a purveyor of machine tools, the vendor should be very aware that everything depends upon specifications. I don't buy things because they are the right color. I am looking for performance. Why not publish spindle speeds, available thread pitches, back plate mounting, etc.? I also tend to do my homework before talking to sales.

In that regard, Grizzly does a pretty good job. Additionally, I can generally download their user manual to allow me to dig in deeper. Even HF allows one to download a user manual.

Edit: Thank you @fursphere I just checked their site and did find the PM manual and a complete spec sheet.

Last edited:
I bought 3 machines from Precision Matthews in 2019 & 2020, all with factory installed DROs. This includes a PM-1030V received in Dec. 2019.

I chose the most expensive DRO (if there was a choice) & the factory DRO installation. When the machines came, all I had to do was mount the bracket(s), plug in 3 or 4 electrical connectors, switch from mm to inch, and I was making chips.

So far I haven’t needed any further information on the DROs. They always came with a manual, but so far I have found the operation of the DRO to be self-explanatory.

Edit:

I just checked the website, and there is not a lot of information on the DRO. This has changed since I placed my order. If the OP wants me to upload pics and info of what I have, I can do that tomorrow. He can also text or call me at (707)293-8973 and we can talk about the DRO all he wants.

In short, it is just a functional, full featured DRO. I do not know if it has magnetic or optical scales.

The cover for the cross slide scale will have you extending your tailstock quill about an 1 1/8” further. The carriage lock is not blocked at all. The cross slide lock becomes a little harder to get to, but I have never needed it. One can easily lock the cross slide with a wrench, if needed.

If you want to adjust the gibs on the cross slide, you will either have to (1) shorten the head of an Allen key, (2) do so with the scale cover removed (easy job), or (what I plan to do) (3) replace the SHCSs with hex head bolts & remember which one is the cross slide lock (hint: it’s the one with no locking nut up against the cross slide).

The cover for the horizontal travel scale doesn’t block anything.

The units go out to or past tenths. An example of a carriage reading is 0.1234” & an example of a cross slide reading is 0.12345”, and the number in the hundred thousandths position is always going to be a 0 or 5. To clarify, carriage reads to the nearest tenth (.0001” granularity), & the cross slide reads to the nearest half ten thousandths (.00005” granularity). I am saying this from memory. I will update tomorrow after I check the machine; the values may be more granular yet.

Last edited:
As a purveyor of machine tools, the vendor should be very aware that everything depends upon specifications. I don't buy things because they are the right color. I am looking for performance. Why not publish spindle speeds, available thread pitches, back plate mounting, etc.? I also tend to do my homework before talking to sales.

In that regard, Grizzly does a pretty good job. Additionally, I can generally download their user manual to allow me to dig in deeper. Even HF allows one to download a user manual.
Curious. PM publishes the manuals on their site for each machine, and the things you list are all available.

Back