DRO on lathe cable management?

rodm1

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for an affordable bridge type cable drag chain like bellow for my lathe DRO cables. Are there any good web sights with photos not shire what I wont at this time and photos would help.

Do you want one that's cheap, or one that doesn’t melt from hot chips? This is what I used and it's great - holds my DRO cables and Fogbuster lines, and snaps open to route cables/lines:

IMG_9543.jpeg

This is my receipt from iGus that shows part numbers:

iGus Drag Chain.jpg

Details on installation are here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTgj3SL

If you have a chip back splash on your lathe, grab a couple beam clamps and rubber lined straps clamps from the big box store. They usually have a 1/4-20 threaded hole on the side you can use to mount a strap clamp to and hold the DRO armor cable. Position carriage in the middle of the travel and adjust cable length at that point to not touch bottom.

I used them on my DRO install and it has worked great. Never drags on the bottom.
35819d040e8284b396faa9d1f8ebb45e.jpg

b7b79f969f3f2f04effd3bdc3eee9170.jpg

4a9a331389415638af8bb1294110e715.jpg

d05a7f5939445c81cf6a5d47f0ca509d.jpg

8afa41a6c1188be3fba6c1b6df1fae80.jpg

66900c1edf094ede21f7337be0b6bf12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping this thread to say thanks to @davidpbest for his reference in favor of igus drag chain. I just ordered some. Their website configuration software threw me for a loop, but I just played with the numbers until the system set me up with a chain of the length that I expect. I like the fact that this chain is fully sealed, so chips don't get inside. Most of the chains I could find on Amazon are open to swarf, which doesn't strike me as the best solution. Fingers crossed it all works out as expected.

Bumping this thread to say thanks to @davidpbest for his reference in favor of igus drag chain. I just ordered some. Their website configuration software threw me for a loop, but I just played with the numbers until the system set me up with a chain of the length that I expect. I like the fact that this chain is fully sealed, so chips don't get inside. Most of the chains I could find on Amazon are open to swarf, which doesn't strike me as the best solution. Fingers crossed it all works out as expected.

Can you post a link?

I ran my cables through s.s. flexible conduit. I routed the cross slide under the tailstock to the right end of the lathe bed. The tailstock cable is also routed to the right end of the bed. To prevent binding, I ran the cables over pulleys and the weight of the excess cable keeps the horizontal run taut.

I ran my cables through s.s. flexible conduit. I routed the cross slide under the tailstock to the right end of the lathe bed. The tailstock cable is also routed to the right end of the bed. To prevent binding, I ran the cables over pulleys and the weight of the excess cable keeps the horizontal run taut.
Pictures or I don't believe you ;)

Back