DRO PROS Touch Probe Calibration

Thanks for the reply Ron. Funny you mention the Haimer because after my last bout of working with the DP Touch Probe that is exactly what I came away with. Not to kick a dead horse, but two things work against me on this machine. It is for all intents a cheap Chi-Com made small knee mill that I continually fight with to stay in tram. Just leaning on the table can throw it off so once set you have to be very careful working around the table. Couple that with a touch probe that may, or may not be all that accurate and it just adds to the inaccuracy and doubt. I don't do anything with large material on it and I would certainly hope it could mill a true cut for a couple of inches, but most often that is not the case. Trying to square something is extremely frustrating on this machine, so it's decision time for me. Keep it and don't expect much other than a pretty good drilling machine or sell it and look for something better. And of course not being able to easily adjust the y-axis tram without a second person or jack of some sort is a killer for me. Anyway I go though, a Haimer is definitely on my short list.

Rick H.

The DRO Pros touch probe should be good for 0.001" accuracy, so if the rest of the mill is inaccurate, the probe will not help. Also a bit more difficult to setup the probe and know what the reproducibility is. The Haimer and TSCHORN 3D-Tester are usually good for 0.0004". I just find the mechanical dial edge finders to be quicker and easier to use. A bit disappointed that the DRO Pros touch probe was not more accurate (especially at the list price), but then other mechanical touch probes of this type are no better. You need to get into the powered strain gauge touch probes to get better accuracy, and at much greater cost.

One caution is that these touch probes are very fragile, even with the breakaway tips, so I never use the power drive when the indicator is in the chuck (already made that mistake), and always use two hands when handling the indicator. With a keyless chuck the indicator can drop out of the chuck very easily if you turn the chuck the wrong way.

I probably would not buy another Haimer if mine goes down, there is no US support and the cost/time to send it back to Germany for repairs makes it completely impractical. Reading some other reviews on the Haimer used in machine shops, they toss them when they break. The TSCHORN has a US repair facility, so would probably replace the Haimer with a SLIMplus 00163D012.

Back