DRO Recommendations for 7x16 Mini-Lathe

MaverickNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
LMS is BO’d with doubtful in-stock time on their magnetic Bluetooth DRO kits for a 7x16 mini-lathe. I’m converting my LMS 4200 from a 12" to a 16" and would appreciate recommendations for a DRO kit for this use. Magnetic preferred and Bluetooth preferred as well.

Thanks!

Bret

LMS is BO’d with doubtful in-stock time on their magnetic Bluetooth DRO kits for a 7x16 mini-lathe. I’m converting my LMS 4200 from a 12" to a 16" and would appreciate recommendations for a DRO kit for this use. Magnetic preferred and Bluetooth preferred as well.

Thanks!

Bret
You might take a look at Igage stuff, they are magnetic scales, Cheap and work decent for your size application.

Thanks!

Bret

iGaging Absolute are capacitive: I have on my Mini-Mill and 7x16 Mini-Lathe with TouchDRO Adapters, and am very happy with the results. Not a kit, but not terribly difficult to install.

I installed an iGaging DRO on the Z axis of my 7x12. Due to some previous bad experiences with their aluminum scales, I went with their stainless steel scale. Still, I had a few EMI problems, solved by installing a 1 microfarad capacitor in the sensor (between its Vcc and Gnd). The controllers and continuously-variable RPM motors on this class of lathes seem to generate a lot of EMI that can mess with iGaging capacitive DROs, but if you've got even a little bit of soldering experience under your belt you can easily address the problem. At least, if you use a stainless steel rule. The aluminum ones develop contact problems and, based on my experience, require additional measures to get them to behave themselves.

That said, I now regularly use the DRO. The only downside is that it occasionally needs a new pair of 2032 batteries. I don't recall it EVER misbehaving after soldering in that additional capacitor.

I installed an iGaging DRO on the Z axis of my 7x12. Due to some previous bad experiences with their aluminum scales, I went with their stainless steel scale. Still, I had a few EMI problems, solved by installing a 1 microfarad capacitor in the sensor (between its Vcc and Gnd). The controllers and continuously-variable RPM motors on this class of lathes seem to generate a lot of EMI that can mess with iGaging capacitive DROs, but if you've got even a little bit of soldering experience under your belt you can easily address the problem. At least, if you use a stainless steel rule. The aluminum ones develop contact problems and, based on my experience, require additional measures to get them to behave themselves.

That said, I now regularly use the DRO. The only downside is that it occasionally needs a new pair of 2032 batteries. I don't recall it EVER misbehaving after soldering in that additional capacitor.
Maybe just a z-axis iGaging DRO is the way I should go - a whole lot cheaper than a 2-axis BT kit. The LMS 7x12 came with DRO readouts on the Cross Slide and Compound Rest and I just ordered a DRO Trailstock for the 7x16 upgrade I’ll be doing.

I make a lot of Ham Radio kits and can solder, so your tip on the EMI will be very helpful!

With a 4in-4-jaw chuck and dead center, my maximum work length on my 7x12 is 9-3/4”, so that should extend to 13-3/4” with the 7x16 upgrade. It seems a shame to cut a 24in iGaging unit down but since I’m going to the effort to add 4in to my lathe, perhaps I should do that, even if I may never use the extra 1-3/4” over a 12” DRO. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 5
The "magnetic" just refers to the little magnets on the back of the readout I think- so you can stick it on a metal surface
I believe the scales can be cut if you do it carefully

The "magnetic" just refers to the little magnets on the back of the readout I think- so you can stick it on a metal surface
I believe the scales can be cut if you do it carefully
I have read that the stainless steel scales are pretty hard. Folks have reportedly used abrasive cutoff wheels to do the job.

It seems a shame to cut a 24in iGaging unit down but since I’m going to the effort to add 4in to my lathe, perhaps I should do that, even if I may never use the extra 1-3/4” over a 12” DRO. Thoughts?

I get that you don't like the idea of cutting the scale down but the "sorrow" will disappear as soon as you start using your DRO :).

Back