DRO Recommendations for 7x16 Mini-Lathe

Maybe just a z-axis iGaging DRO is the way I should go - a whole lot cheaper than a 2-axis BT kit. The LMS 7x12 came with DRO readouts on the Cross Slide and Compound Rest and I just ordered a DRO Trailstock for the 7x16 upgrade I’ll be doing.

I make a lot of Ham Radio kits and can solder, so your tip on the EMI will be very helpful!

With a 4in-4-jaw chuck and dead center, my maximum work length on my 7x12 is 9-3/4”, so that should extend to 13-3/4” with the 7x16 upgrade. It seems a shame to cut a 24in iGaging unit down but since I’m going to the effort to add 4in to my lathe, perhaps I should do that, even if I may never use the extra 1-3/4” over a 12” DRO. Thoughts?
With the TouchDRO adapter I don’t have to worry about batteries and I’ve never had any RFI issues.

I used a 12” scale on my 7 x 16; I installed blocks so the read head stops about 1/2” before it would hit the scale brackets. There is about 3/4” between the carriage hand wheel and the headstock, so I’m not losing anything at that end and at the tail stock end my travel is limited by the lead screw cover retainer: I don’t think you’ll lose any useful travel with the 12” scale on Z.

I installed an iGaging DRO on the Z axis of my 7x12. Due to some previous bad experiences with their aluminum scales, I went with their stainless steel scale. Still, I had a few EMI problems, solved by installing a 1 microfarad capacitor in the sensor (between its Vcc and Gnd). The controllers and continuously-variable RPM motors on this class of lathes seem to generate a lot of EMI that can mess with iGaging capacitive DROs, but if you've got even a little bit of soldering experience under your belt you can easily address the problem. At least, if you use a stainless steel rule. The aluminum ones develop contact problems and, based on my experience, require additional measures to get them to behave themselves.

That said, I now regularly use the DRO. The only downside is that it occasionally needs a new pair of 2032 batteries. I don't recall it EVER misbehaving after soldering in that additional capacitor.
I have a set on my drill press, used it as a mini mill for a time, I had the same EMI issue and I believe came up with the same fix. Seemed to be more of an issue when I used the AC adapter so batteries it is....

I have a set on my drill press, used it as a mini mill for a time, I had the same EMI issue and I believe came up with the same fix. Seemed to be more of an issue when I used the AC adapter so batteries it is....
Once upon a time I tried using an external battery pack on one of my DROs, the idea being that a couple of D cells would last far longer than the CR2032's. I had to give up that idea because the DRO went totally nuts when I turned the mill motor on. The DRO was an earlier version with no option for an external power supply so I opened up the display box and soldered wires to the internal Vcc and Ground. Back to the drawing board on that one.

So at present I'm stuck with using the little 2032 style batteries.

I have read that newer versions of the iGaging DROs are less susceptible to EMI but I have no personal experience with them yet.

With the TouchDRO adapter I don’t have to worry about batteries and I’ve never had any RFI issues.

I used a 12” scale on my 7 x 16; I installed blocks so the read head stops about 1/2” before it would hit the scale brackets. There is about 3/4” between the carriage hand wheel and the headstock, so I’m not losing anything at that end and at the tail stock end my travel is limited by the lead screw cover retainer: I don’t think you’ll lose any useful travel with the 12” scale on Z.
That’s good information, thanks. I ordered a iGaging Absolute Pro for my z-Axis and will give the TouchDRO a try as well. I’m sure I’ll have a few questions, the first being, did you mount that on the front or rear of the machine?

BRET

That’s good information, thanks. I ordered a iGaging Absolute Pro for my z-Axis and will give the TouchDRO a try as well. I’m sure I’ll have a few questions, the first being, did you mount that on the front or rear of the machine?

BRET
Rear: can't go into too many details as I have a detailed article submitted & awaiting publication.

Snap up the TouchDRO adapter (two if you're planning on doing a mill also: @ycroosh isn't going to have any more made after his current stock has run out (members of this Forum get a 10% discount). Since I have on both my Mini Mill & Mini-Lathe, I picked up a spare adapter – I don't expect any issues (the one on the Mill has been going strong for well over a year), but in case of a catastrophic failure it was worth the $90.

I believe the"magnetic" refers to the magnet on the back of the readout. My scales are definitely capacitive. It's a clever but deceptive bit of marketing.

There is nothing wrong with thcapacitive scales except for the lower resolution. The capacitive scales are 10 micron which is equivalent to .0004". This is fine for most hobby work. One place where a higher resolution would be nice is on the cross slide if set to diameter mode. Then your effective resolution become .0008". I set the display on my TouchDRO to four decimal places which helps to ease the resolution issue somewhat but it would be nice to have even a 5 micron scale or ideally, a 1 micron scale.

Last edited:
Rear: can't go into too many details as I have a detailed article submitted & awaiting publication.

Snap up the TouchDRO adapter (two if you're planning on doing a mill also: @ycroosh isn't going to have any more made after his current stock has run out (members of this Forum get a 10% discount). Since I have on both my Mini Mill & Mini-Lathe, I picked up a spare adapter – I don't expect any issues (the one on the Mill has been going strong for well over a year), but in case of a catastrophic failure it was worth the $90.
Thanks for the tip - I picked up one iGaging TouchDRO Adapter.

When my last company went under, I got a 3-axis DRO kit still in the box from our development shop when the investors had a fire sale (DRO PROS KCDM-42-773 Electronica 400 12x30x16 Mill) - I’ve not even opened that box yet! I had bought an identical LMS 3960 mill as we had in the shop so I think the kit should fit. I’ll have to tear down my mill to install it so that will happen after the lathe.

Thanks for the tip - I picked up one iGaging TouchDRO Adapter.

When my last company went under, I got a 3-axis DRO kit still in the box from our development shop when the investors had a fire sale (DRO PROS KCDM-42-773 Electronica 400 12x30x16 Mill) - I’ve not even opened that box yet! I had bought an identical LMS 3960 mill as we had in the shop so I think the kit should fit. I’ll have to tear down my mill to install it so that will happen after the lathe.
Not too much tear down should be required: with the exception of the Z-Axis (mounted on the left side of the head to stay away from everything on the right side), I used the existing scale mounting holes on my 3960 when I "created" my iGaging scale installation. Unless you have 360° access to your mill you will need to move it around to get at the back of the table (X-Axis scale) and left side (Y-Axis scale).

This thread is good timing for me. Just in the past few days I have been researching DROs for my 7X16 Micro Mark. As most things I always try to t]do good, not the best, but on the cheap. I had been considering the iGaging EZ-View Dro. This set I found on feabay https://www.ebay.com/itm/142017292063?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110013&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIMRXI&ao=1&asc=20211209162615&meid=9de51680fb42411ba2811243c35fb6a3&pid=101479&rk=1&rkt=12&sd=353847796660&itm=142017292063&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=4429259&algv=SimRWIWebRoundRobinBlenderWithPromotedSeeds&brand=iGAGING&_trksid=p4429259.c101479.m3476&amdata=cksum:1420172920639de51680fb42411ba2811243c35fb6a3|enc:AQAIAAABEKXWuUGeWZNDwRHZ2wLkfSP6eO0HvvoaL1McJo5mxBH%2BT9fwbenIEU%2BSOcnyNNYMYdrY6Pd3Xvh8JwIVgYQBoACshfZsw2EUEocPKTFIeFJYIhjiho7dtT5p%2BuLadOYXrinVsncBo5dPshS4VkPc8N9WxQBmM9mjsicqWQIFZVGZ6Uz4f3jEVoJFG%2FvyyOVyxrQfXgW9W0yDgoSSzHuoOtPppegbIp561qNWQjWfF8bM682YZCFeiAVl2%2FFbudkeGD3bD9HGM0L43B7lPdDd%2BN1e0MWkiE74HorKkJzMKca2CadEVOHFg5UnRQ05Ryk4g4BqEUsMCjW5XvEjxqsi1SoIAJuU6B1R1DVc%2FQweXfyV|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:4429259&epid=664564386

Now after the above reading comments I'm rethinking this may be a mistake? I only use it for hobby work a couple times a month. Would this be good enough or will it present too many issues and I should just consider a higher grade model?

Also was wondering if the iGaging system will work with the AC power adapter only,.. Without batteries?

Last edited:
Back