DRO...

Ar risk of a subject change, the SECOND BEST addition I made to my Bridgeport (after the DRO) was a pneumatic power drawbar. Inexpensive kits can be found on eBay. I made mine just to have a project. Indispensable. Game changers. The quality of my shop life is so much better with these two additions. I wish I had a DRO on my lathe. I keep putting it off.
I never cared for the power drawbar.

For a production shop they’re a moneymaker for sure.

However, if not used right they can be hard on collets and drawbars, their noisy, and since I get paid by the hour I never minded swinging the wrench.

However, if not used right they can be hard on collets and drawbars, their noisy, and since I get paid by the hour I never minded swinging the wrench.
I won't disagree. I broke the little set screw pin in my spindle before I realized I had the air pressure up to high. Ooops.

THANKS Guys! The big reason I'm still on the fence is just the $$$ (retired and have to watch it a bit) it sure would be nice to pull the trigger.
Ya think magnetic is the the way to go? Will epoxy stand the test to time?
You might look at Igage if your on a budget.

Still looking at DRO"s and this caught my eye, I can't believe these things are so cheap. Do you suppose it's just Chinese junk?
For the price I might gamble...ya think they are glass or magnetic.

I've heard good things about Aikron. I might be getting a couple sets for a lathe and a mill myself.

Shipping charges are high since they ship straight from China.

Still looking at DRO"s and this caught my eye, I can't believe these things are so cheap. Do you suppose it's just Chinese junk?

Virtually all, if not all, DROs are made in China. You can pay extra for a brand name or for U.S. based support, but that doesn't change where they are made. There may still be some high-end units that aren't, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Chinese junk? I'm old enough to remember when that was said about Japanese products. Times change.

They don't say specifically, but most likely glass scales.

With free shipping

There are lots of others.
That Aikron display looks suspiciously like what is called a YH-800
1712339534276.png

1712339636028.png

Last edited:
I bought a 3 axis DRO for a Bridgeport years ago. I did not know much (if anything) about it. But for under $300 (back then) I took the risk. It was delivered and was branded ToAuto. Definitely Chinese made. No instructions - just boxes of parts.

Took me a couple of months to get it installed and working. I had to replace the 42" scale with a much shorter one for my 3 in 1 machine. It worked GREAT! It also solved my problem of metric lead screws with inch dimension dials.

Now I see I can buy ToAuto scales, displays, etc on Amazon. I would not discount a DRO because it was made in China. I think most (all?) are now days.

Virtually all, if not all, DROs are made in China. You can pay extra for a brand name or for U.S. based support, but that doesn't change where they are made. There may still be some high-end units that aren't, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Chinese junk? I'm old enough to remember when that was said about Japanese products. Times change.

They don't say specifically, but most likely glass scales.

With free shipping

There are lots of others.
That Aikron display looks suspiciously like what is called a YH-800
View attachment 485538

View attachment 485539
Thanks for the lead on the Aliexpress link. I just purchased one...hope it works out. I'm always a bit worried but it's PayPal so there's a bit of insurance. I'll keep you posted how it goes!

That looks good...

Thanks for the lead on the Aliexpress link. I just purchased one...hope it works out. I'm always a bit worried but it's PayPal so there's a bit of insurance. I'll keep you posted how it goes!
I have purchased a lot of stuff off AE. Only one bad transaction and AE made it good, didn't have to involve Paypal.

Back