DRO...

I know the brands DRO pros sells are a bit more expensive, but in my opinion the quality of the product and the personal service is well worth the difference in price.

I’ve had one of their Electronica units with magnetic scales over 12 years. It’s been trouble free and accurate. I chose the 2 axis model because it fit my needs and I didn’t feel the third axis was necessary.

They are good people to do business with, and will guide you through the entire installation if you need the help.

Seems to be more in the area of three to four times as much. I'm sure the quality is good, but prices seem to be totally out of line. Mike

I know the brands DRO pros sells are a bit more expensive

Man, I'd love to have a DRO on my Bridgeport. It sure would make some projects much easier but I've never used one...I'm an old hand crank and dial guy.
There is so much to sift through on the internet...what are some personal recommendations and experience you could pass on. I'm thinking XY, magnetic and DROPro.

AND...are they a major PITA to install? Any help appreciated!
Paul
I wouldn't go back to dials unless mine crapped out and I needed to. I have glass, and it's great...

Seems to be more in the area of three to four times as much. I'm sure the quality is good, but prices seem to be totally out of line. Mike
The prices may be higher, but in most cases I think it’s an apples to oranges comparison. How many can say they have had one of the cheapie DRO’s ten years’ let alone being trouble free and accurate?

The prices may be higher, but in most cases I think it’s an apples to oranges comparison. How many can say they have had one of the cheapie DRO’s ten years’ let alone being trouble free and accurate?
I guess I'm gonna' find out...

I wouldn't go back to dials unless mine crapped out and I needed to. I have glass, and it's great...
I grew up using dials and have no problem with them. My Bridgeport has both the metric and imperial dials. I added a DRO many years ago because of constant phone interruptions. If I didn't write down where I was, I would forget by the time I got off the phone. Then I had to retrace everything which more than doubled the time to make a part. The DRO certainly makes things faster and easier, but it is by no means a necessity.

Maybe more than you think. But it seems to me installation trumps technology in this case. The cheapies come with bracketry that is basically worthless on old lathes, so there’s a lot of fabrication required. Are the DROPros kits more complete? That might make it worth the cost for some.

But I don’t think what they sell are Newalls or some other industry-grade maker, and I’d hate to think that under the skin it’s the same stuff as the cheapies. I have no idea if that’s the case.

Rick “installing a cheapie on his SB 14-1/2 at present—learning lessons and more in due course” Denney

Maybe more than you think. But it seems to me installation trumps technology in this case. The cheapies come with bracketry that is basically worthless on old lathes, so there’s a lot of fabrication required. Are the DROPros kits more complete? That might make it worth the cost for some.

But I don’t think what they sell are Newalls or some other industry-grade maker, and I’d hate to think that under the skin it’s the same stuff as the cheapies. I have no idea if that’s the case.

Rick “installing a cheapie on his SB 14-1/2 at present—learning lessons and more in due course” Denney
I use the DRO to get into the neighborhood then I use my instruments in concert with my DRO and dials to get too the exact address and sneak into the driveway....

Back