Dull headlights

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I can't remember where I read this and it could have been on this site , but I used Mothers mag and wheel polish on my headlight lenses yesterday . They look brand new . Highly recommended . :)

Did you need to pretreat the lens?

Headlight "lenses" on modern cars are usually plastic. (acrylic??) Doing regular maintenance on the car, washing and waxing etc, will tell on the covers. Waxing the headlights is as much regular maintenance as changing the oil. As the car ages, headlight lenses (covers) will tend to discolor as well as develop tiny scratches. Some of the discoloration is from exposure to the sun, dependant on how well the cover was waxed, as well as other environmental exposure. Some, such as salt and desert sand, is unavoidable, short of garaging and not driving.

With "leaks" around the edges, discolorization can occur on the inside and dulling of the reflector as well. (Nickle plating??) This can usually be polished out as well. Most polishes contain a fine abrasive, using a power polisher will save MANY arm/hand aches. When the plastic has been exposed to strong sunlight without protection (polish, etc) and discolors deeply, replacement is often the only solution.

Before, or during, care for the lens, attention should be paid to the reflector as well. A well polished reflector will often compensate for a slightly discolored lens. Deep scratches should be avoided, they will sometimes redirect strong light above the nominal "low beam" position, blinding oncoming drivers. Removing the lamp before polishing the reflector will avoid spotting polish on the lamp which can cause premature failure. Headlights run very hot and even a fingerprint can cause failure.

All of the above should be taken as from someone who has worked on applications other than automotive headlights. I treat my personal vehicles quite rough and have replaced composite headlights with sealed beams on account of this treatment. I don't go "off road" but do encounter trees and brush with my pickup when working in the south-east. And keep spare sealed beams handy against breakage.

After spending way too much time polishing a set with less than stellar results and finding that it didn't last very long, I've decided that replacement is the best option. They're just not that expensive. Besides, I'd rather be cutting metal.

edit: If you're looking for replacement headlights, DO NOT go to the dealer. Aftermarket replacements are available on eBay. The ones I've bought were in the $125-150/pair price range.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with our Mercury, a beater; the plastic crazed, letting in moisture, which caused the bulb to burn out, a replacement headlight unit was priced at $450, besides that a smog defect repair was priced at $750, it was one year too new for the state's buyback program ($1200). The cure was a trip to "Pick and Pull" where it was junked, saved $ for repairs and got about $150 scrap value.

After polishing the trick is to clear/seal or wax to keep them clear. Its so easy I have no problem doing once a year. Wax them when you do the paint.

After polishing the trick is to clear/seal or wax to keep them clear. Its so easy I have no problem doing once a year. Wax them when you do the paint.
Wax the paint?

Wax the paint?
Most modern plastic headlights (you won't find glass lens headlights on new cars anymore as they are not DOT approved anymore) have a clear UV coating in them. Once that peels/fades away is when the accelerated oxidation & yellowing occurs. You can polish them but you'll have to keep doing it as that UV protection is gone. Many DIY'rs will re clear coat the headlights after polishing. Waxing the clear paint helps is last longer. Some HL restoring kits come with clear coat now too.

I apply wax on my headlights everytime I wash my truck. The UV coating is starting to peel on my current headlights. As soon as they start yellowing I replace them. As a matter of fact I just bought a new set of headlights last week. They're so cheap for my truck I don't even bother polishing them. $27ea for my Toyota (yes aftermarket TYC).
:big grin:

Wax the paint?
When you wax your car or the “paint” wax the headlight also. Another more elaborate way is when done and satisfied wrap them with a quality chip guard that they use on the front end of cars. You can buy small portions on eBay and others. Fairly easy to apply.

The sylvania restoration has UV protection that you have to apply. It makes it last much longer. I only recently found that out, and next time I do my headlights will give it a try .. I have also used toothpaste to clean my headlights as well as some kits.. all work ok..

The sylvania has my curiosity peaked.

Back