Dull headlights

Happened to see this last night. A polishing compound of toothpaste and baking soda. (?) I'm sure a temporary fix, the UV coating is still the key. But to maybe sell it quick?

I think Sam's club restores for 35 bucks or so.

Observed while waiting for warranty battery replacement.

They scrub, polish then clear coat while you shop.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

When I did my 2006 Silverado I started with 400 grit sand paper, then 800 grit then used Nova acrylic polish 1 and 2 (that I had left over from polishing out an acrylic aquarium). The lenses are now like new.

I have seen the decently priced headlight lens assemblies on ebay and Amazon. I have always been a fearful of their quality??? Unfortunately ebay doesn't have the strong item review capability that Amazon does making buying after market parts a bit of a crap shoot.

I also replaced the bulbs (old bulbs were Sylvania SilverStar) in my headlights with LED bulbs and I am quite pleased with the results. The light pattern is much more uniform and the light pattern still has the same as factory cut off to keep from blinding oncoming drivers. I was a little worried that the LED bulbs would be projecting all over the place (which I hate in other oncoming vehicles) but they don't. My Silverado headlights are now quite close to the HID headlights in my Lexus as far as light quality and intensity. I did NOT go for the highest intensity LED bulbs available.

It is so nice to be able to see well at night on all the back roads. Way too many deer in my area!

Last edited:
Hey...... :)
Haven't you retired yet?

Thinking about this headlight thing, I begin to wonder...
The change from glass to acrylic was mandated in order to reduce pedestrian injuries from shattered glass in the event of being struck.
I wonder if the actual number of pedestrian strikes has increased due to reduced visibility from cloudy lenses.

Glad my '88 Hondas still have glass lenses.

Haven't you retired yet?

Thinking about this headlight thing, I begin to wonder...
The change from glass to acrylic was mandated in order to reduce pedestrian injuries from shattered glass in the event of being struck.
I wonder if the actual number of pedestrian strikes has increased due to reduced visibility from cloudy lenses.

Glad my '88 Hondas still have glass lenses.
47 days, but who's counting?
I checked, list price is $154.33 for a left side HL assembly for a 2015 F-150.
If you can get two for that price, I'd try it.
Heck, Ford's are probably made in China also??
Did I say that out loud?

My experience with aftermarket parts from third party suppliers has been VERY bad! I almost always end up having to replace the part again with OEM. I have never tried third party headlight enclosures because I am pretty gun shy about trying some. Even on Amazon most reviews are from people that installed the headlight assembly 2 days ago and it fit properly. ...and quite frankly I am a cheap SOB! ...too cheap to want to buy the same part twice because I cheaped out on the first purchase.

Back