Dumore Hand Grinder Don't do Nothing

Sounds like you know what you're doing.

The grinder is totally dead now. All I did was spray the commutator with De-Ox-Id, remove the black stuff, and clean the ends of the brushes. I ended up putting sandpaper around the commutator and turning it a little to scrape the brush ends. That's it. I don't see how this could turn a messed-up grinder into a dead one. Can't figure it out.

It was a Dumore, and now it's a Dunothing.

can you look at the commutator with a loupe or magnifier.
Make sure there is no brass dust joining the pads.
do the brushes have a wire , or is the spring and holder bringing the voltage? if no wire, clean that spring up get it nice and clean.
check that the wires are still attached to the brush holder.
dunothing is a result of done something, so lets figure it out.
My guess is the wire has broken from the brush holder

sand all the sides of the brush that is not completely moving smooth all the way to the commutator--it can't hang up and work properly.
make sure the spring is not weak, it needs to push it completely all the way.
Dave

also recheck your wires for a bad spot. you may have voltage in a tiny wire all the way to brushes but not enough for amps needed. keep checking and you will get it back to do more like it ought.
Dave

The armature is broken. I looked at it with magnifiers, and a bunch of the wires are loose from the commutator bars. Fortunately, it's only $130 plus shipping for a new one.

I don't think I did anything to the wires while I was fiddling with it. Anyway, that's that. Thanks for trying to help.

After the fact information is one step above useless. But I will throw out some thoughts so "next time" might not cause so much guessing. The DuMore motor is a series-universal motor, so mentioned above. The same as a sewing machine motor. Among other things, speed is determined by the number of functional windings on the armature. The number of commutator segments will generally give an idea of a high speed, medium speed, etc. Not a specific speed, there are many other factors involved.

In the first place, sand paper should not be applied to the commutator. Period. There are commutator dressing "stones" that are a rubberized abrasive. But on small motors are difficult to properly address the surface. They may be ground to a slim profile to make dressing a little easier.

You mentioned a "black stain" on the copper. That in itself is a sign of a loose connection. The black stain is actually a very dark brown, the sign of high temperature. Each commutator segment is attached to a part of the windings. There are several different winding types, also a connection to speed. In all probability, your sanding had a great deal to do with the loose "whiskers" becoming loose.

If you are competent with a small soldering iron, they can (theoretically) be reconnected. That sort of work is a young eyes job. But it can be done. A small torch works as well. But it must be a very small flame, far smaller than most acetylene flames. If the torch is larger than your thumb, it's too big.

The commutator segments are "undercut" some small amount. The dividing spacers are usually mica, considerably harder than the brushes. Undercutting is a tedious job, requiring meticulous workmanship. A hacksaw blade ground to a hook shape is about the best tool there is. There are tools specifically for the job, but most repairmen use a hacksaw blade. A whisker bridging the gap is deadly, any such must be removed. The copper segments are tapered at the edges, that is part of the undercutting process.

Brushes are a carbon compound. They can be filed, although sanding is far smoother. They are dressed to match the curvature of the commutator. For small motors, a generally "almost" fit is sufficient. A large rat tail file with sandpaper wrapped around it will form the curve, which should line up with the commutator.

The brushes should move easily, but not sloppy, in the brush holders. Dressing the sides with sandpaper is usually sufficient. Dressing a larger brush down to size is easily accomplished, albeit rather messy for the carbon dust. Most brushes have "pigtails" attached for more direct electrical connection. The spring usually is for tension only. There are exceptions, of course, but usually a sign of poor quality.

If you do intend to replace the armature as a single piece, and exchange is not required, it will provide an opportunity to learn a little about armatures. There is a test instrument called a "growler" that is used to test armatures. I saw one on eBay a few days back, but the seller was right proud of it. All that is required is a hacksaw blade and sufficient experiencs to understand the results. Oh, by the way, replace the bearings as you replace the rotor.

Thanks for the help, but I didn't sand the commutator. I applied De-Ox-Id and rubbed it carefully with Scotchbrite.

Dumore doesn't sell parts for this machine, so it looks like the trash heap is in its future.

I set brushes by wrapping a sandpaper strip around the commutator. Install brushes and springs and spin the commutator. Sandpaper is facing the brushes. Spin till shaped then disassemble clean thoroughly and reassemble. Usually recut the armature before all this happens.
You can do a resistance test on the segments to the shaft. See if it’s grounded. Or you can go segment to segment 180* apart. All you readings should be close if not varnish has worn and wires are grounding out.
Armatures can be rewound but good luck finding someone in this disposable world. Good luck!

I discovered the damage by watching a video in which a guy showed how to find problems with an ohmmeter. I knew something was a little off when the resistance between neighboring bars on the commutator was generally infinite.

Back