Dumore Hand Grinder Don't do Nothing

I was considering getting a Makita, too. I'm not sure what advantage the Dumore offers. It seems a little smaller at about 11".

I have some info for anyone else with Dumore problems. They do not support model 10-451, which is what I have. The referred me to the Electric Tool & Service Company in Detroit, at 313-366-3830. They said to ask for Larry. I guess that's who answered the phone.

He laughed when I told him the model number. My sixth sense told me this was a bad sign. He said he hadn't seen one in 20 years. He said there is a company called Eurton in California that might rewind it. It's not worth it to me to pay skilled labor to fix this thing and also fork out for shipping.

Just to see if it will work, I am soldering the wires back on. I don't think a 25,000-RPM tool will like having its armature thrown out of balance by globs of solder, but for all I know it will run.

Here is something Dumore needs to take off its website:

All replacement parts for Dumore tool post grinders, hand grinders, flexible shaft grinders, automatic feel drills & tappers and sensitive drill presses are now available online.

Dumore used to be a king of the hill brand name. Probably not so much anymore.
Aaron

I wonder if their hand grinders are really better than Makita. The current price of a Series 10 Dumore hand grinder is $345.

I assume Makitas can be rebuilt.

These days, it's not Dumore, it's all you can do to find Duō zuò ("do more" in Chinese). Or maybe its Shǎo zuò duō huā qián (do less, costs more)...

I don't see anything special about this grinder, but I am not an electrical or mechanical engineer. It has a heavy plastic body, an ordinary-looking armature, and two cheap bearings at the ends. I know the bearings are cheap, because Dumore charges under $5 for them. The switch looks like every other slide switch on Earth. The cord is very nice, but cords are not expensive.

Where does the $345 go? Is a union getting it?

I checked the parts list for a $124 Makita, and it has three bearings, not two. I don't know if they're better than Dumore bearings, but they cost considerably more. Also, a Makita armature costs $20.

Last edited:
I'e had a Makita die grinder for 20 or more years, can't remember when I bought it to be honest. I've had to replace the bearings once and it gets a fair amount of use. Not saying the new ones are as well made though.

Greg

The Makita GD0603 arrived. I am hard-pressed to see how a Dumore is better or even nearly as good.

The Makita has a nice 8' cord, and it doesn't need a three-prong plug because it's insulated. It's about half an inch longer than the Dumore, but it's also thinner. The nominal speed is 3000 RPM faster, and it has a real switch instead of the weird slide switch Dumore didn't bother to attach with screws. It has a wire bail so you can hang it. I was wrong about it having three bearings; it has 4. The Makita is also about 25% more powerful.

The Makita's stator is powder-coated to protect it from flying crud. The Dumore looks like it may have a thin oxide coating, but that appears to be it. The Makita is quiet enough to make hearing protection unnecessary. Based on the parts diagram, replacing parts on the Makita looks like a very simple process.

I feel like I was drinking the old iron Kool Aid when I snapped up the Dumore on Ebay. Maybe an engineer can explain why I'm wrong.

Back