Dusted off grandpas box

Mike Millis

Registered
Registered
Hey all,
I just dusted off my grandfathers machinist box. Last union dues button is still inside from 1963! I can't wait to get it cleaned up and back in use.

I'm not much of a wood worker so I don't want to ruin it. I'm hoping someone has some recommendations as to how to refinish this box and the brass hardware.

Also inside there was a lot of layout tools I'm particularly excited about these Starrett combination squares and 1-2 micrometer. I want to get them cleaned up also. But I'm nervous about destroying the graduations. I'm considering evapo-rust or a wire wheel? What's the best practices for getting these cleaned up? Mics are no.436tool box 1.jpgtool box 2.jpgtools3.jpgtools1.jpg

Attachments

• tools2.jpg
    tools2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Hey all,
I just dusted off my grandfathers machinist box. Last union dues button is still inside from 1963! I can't wait to get it cleaned up and back in use.

I'm not much of a wood worker so I don't want to ruin it. I'm hoping someone has some recommendations as to how to refinish this box and the brass hardware.

Also inside there was a lot of layout tools I'm particularly excited about these Starrett combination squares and 1-2 micrometer. I want to get them cleaned up also. But I'm nervous about destroying the graduations. I'm considering evapo-rust or a wire wheel? What's the best practices for getting these cleaned up? Mics are no.436
Open the drawers! I wanna see inside, and their construction and such. :encourage:
I just did a 24" Lufkin for a friend that was all rusty. I was his dad's.
Capped off a piece of PVC pipe and used evaporust in it.
Kept a close eye on it this time around, checking every hour. After about four it was ready and then I use a Gray scotch brite pad on it.
And of course I can't find the picts I took of it...
GrandDad's doesn't look that bad so maybe just a couple of hours...

I have a boat load of tools along the same lines , as well as an old 1937 Gerstner box . It is the leather over oak model . I'm afraid to use Evaporust on any of the tools because I ruined quite a few when I forgot they were soaking . They were a black mess when I finally pulled them out . :rolleyes: I use oil and fine scotchbrite on things I want cleaned up now , for bigger things , a brass wire wheel knocks a lot of it off .

I have a boat load of tools along the same lines , as well as an old 1937 Gerstner box . It is the leather over oak model . I'm afraid to use Evaporust on any of the tools because I ruined quite a few when I forgot they were soaking . They were a black mess when I finally pulled them out . :rolleyes: I use oil and fine scotchbrite on things I want cleaned up now , for bigger things , a brass wire wheel knocks a lot of it off .
Yep, yep, it's that 'remembering' thing that bites you in the arse.
I think I've got it figured out though.
I'm using one of dem dar smart fones to alert me to get up and go check the tank/tube.
Lately it's been working well pretty well for me. Old Goat - new tricks.
I did totally mess up a 10" D1-6 lathe chuck last year by leaving in a bucket of vinegar too long. The innards are OK by the outer cast iron looks like crap.
I've got it soaking in a bucket of oil currently and it's on the 'wanna-do' list so that I can flip/trade it.

What they said. Stay away from the wire wheel. Fine 3M abrasive pads, a bit of elbow, and oil, even WD40 would work ok. These are precision tools, gentle is best. Those actually don't look like candidates for evaporust as most have predominantly the original finishes.

For the box....I’d just wipe it down with a tung oil solution with maybe a touch of boiled linseed oil. Thin whatever of these with turps or mineral spirits. Better many thin coats with weeks in between dry times. That will rejuvenate the wood. Just a little candle or beeswax on the slides.

Most of the rust removers I tried, do not do well with the nickle coated rulers.

Sos pad works wonders too but get dry and oil or wax

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Evaporust, used as specified in the instructions, will not get you in trouble. Do not let any of the pieces stick out above the Evaporust, or you will get nasty lines on the metal at the air to water interface.

Do the absolute minimum amount of cleanup to the tool box possible to take the loose old grease and grime off, and then let it be. All of those marks and all the wear are from your grandfather, in all their glory. Cherish them. Anybody can get a new and shiny tool box, but getting one well used by your grandfather is a really special treasure. Don't try to turn it into something it is not...

Back