Dusted off grandpas box

Evaporust will work fine for most rusty items. Just don't use it on spring steel like what tops off a pair of dividers or old style calipers. It can cause the spring to fall apart. Something about hydrogen embrittlement i don't quite understand. Scotch bright pad will clean up any back deposit left behind

Evaporust will work fine for most rusty items. Just don't use it on spring steel like what tops off a pair of dividers or old style calipers. It can cause the spring to fall apart. Something about hydrogen embrittlement i don't quite understand. Scotch bright pad will clean up any back deposit left behind
I did not know that - thanks! I have (4) dividers/calipers sitting on the bench to clean up, and was going to soak them in Evaporust.

The times I 'restored' old tools it ruined them. There is something to removing grime and dirt but trying to remove all surface rust back to clean metal might not be good for the tools. I would use them awhile before any rust treatment but keep them well oiled. Your tools actually look good so please proceed with restraint.

Nutfarmer is right. Soaked a set of spring calipers overnight and found the spring in 2 pieces the next day. Didn't know spring steel was affected that way.

Do the absolute minimum amount of cleanup to the tool box possible to take the loose old grease and grime off, and then let it be. All of those marks and all the wear are from your grandfather, in all their glory. Cherish them. Anybody can get a new and shiny tool box, but getting one well used by your grandfather is a really special treasure. Don't try to turn it into something it is not...
That's wise counsel.

Absolutely what they said! It would be criminal to try and "restore" that box.
Reminds me of an old Antiques Roadshow episode where this woman had this huge armoir that she and painstakingly refinished to like new. The expert told her what it was worth, and then asked her if she wanted to know what it would have been worth if she hadn't refinished it. LOL

FWIW... The thing which sold me on oils and especially Linseed oil is when I read somewhere the methods Europeans have preserved their historical buildings. We’re talking about wooden windows 300 plus years old. Otherwise, even after painted, if paint is intact...they run a coat of thinned oil paint mixed with linseed oil every few years. And we’re talking about areas with brutal winters.
They are constantly coating the wood with linseed oil. If sanding down to bare wood....gets a few coats of thinned linseed oil and then an oil based paint.
Those high end varnishes which cost 80.00 a quart are loaded with top quality linseed oil. Linseed oil is an incredibly good preservative. It rejuvenates the wood grain.

For the wooden box, I would use a cotton cloth and lightly buff/clean the wood with Murphy oil orange cleaner, then let that dry well and wipe lightly with heated linseed oil. I would not even think of using any kind of hard finish on it like polyurethane or varnishes. Just keep it lightly oiled with linseed ever so often.
The metal tools can be done as mentioned with a light oil and wiping with a used scotchbrite pad or cloth. Finish wiping with a cotton cloth.
Painted surfaces might do best with just a cloth with a light oil on it.

I try to get people to leave things as close to "as they are" as possible, but some people demand that I ruin old things by completely restoring them like new.
Some antiques, such as some tools can be restored like new and be functionally used tools, some are best not used and left alone in their beautiful age.

Your tools don't look very rusty to my eye. I use Evaporust often ,but wouldn't use it on those. Evaporust will get under many paints and cause them to lift off.
I would start the clean-up by disassembling and rubbing with Never-Dull Wadding. Use an old tooth brush, on top of the wadding, to be more aggressive and get into nooks & crannies. I've also used Never-Dull on wooden items, to remove surface grime, to my satisfaction.
Non-woven pads such as Scotch-Brite Non-Scratch Scouring Pads (blue) plus Never-Dull will get that scale looking nice in short order.

Back