Dustproof Enclosure for Remote Hitachi SJ200 VFD Control Panel?

That stuff is pretty neat, but it's more expensive than a Hitachi meter, and I don't see how you can splice it into the existing meter's feed without destroying the existing keypad.

That stuff is pretty neat, but it's more expensive than a Hitachi meter, and I don't see how you can splice it into the existing meter's feed without destroying the existing keypad.

The Hitachi drive has a 0-10V programmable analog output (terminal AM) that can be used to read a number of different operating parameters as well as a programmable Pulse Train Output (terminal EO), both of which are compatible with a panel meter of the proper type. Either can be used to read RPM or Frequency when properly programmed and used with the appropriate panel meter.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't think a $100+ meter that only provides one function is the best answer.

Do you really change the speed of your belt grinder that often? On my lathe and mill speed changes are frequent, but my belt grinder is pretty much set for the job at hand and forget. I would just put the keypad in a box with a door, open the door set the speed, close the door.

Or do like my build post, above. Have a window in the box for the display.

The pot isn't a problem. The display is.

The display on my VFD's and the pot are on the detachable console panel. A separate pot can provide isolation of the display console which can then be placed in a transparent grit-proof enclosure.

Mine is in a sealed box mounted on a pedestal from the ceiling with a plexiglass front and has fan circulation. I made a control box mounted to
the mill similar to Jim Dawson's. It takes no space, out of the way of chips, easy to program, easy to see and control the speed, and the control box is handy right on the mill. I also used a DPST relay to power the unit from the control box so can turn on or off the VFD with a simple SPST toggle switch.

View media item 94587

It would be nice to be able to replicate the panel so I can use the existing CAT5 instead of having a mess of additional wires. Right now, the VFD is totally isolated from dust, because the CAT5 connects to a coupling on the side of the cabinet. It's pretty neat. If I have to start cutting more holes, it will be disappointing.

I plan to open up the panel and see what's actually in it.

Back