Early Atlas 7shaper

Thank you, Craig and Brino.
Nice to be welcomed ... that feels good.
Craig, I see you're in Oakville.
I am over by Burloak.
Brino and Craig ... from the information published with your avatars, it's clear you both are serious about your involvement here. Bravo, both of you!
Brino, I see you're in Almonte ... betcha you can see the Milky Way where you are, you have such beautiful skies there, in Eastern Ontario.
I look forward to participating and contributing.
Jeff
PS: Today's task: Get the knee back on this machine ... lol

Jeff,

Yes the night skies are incredible.
We are far enough from Ottawa (and the Almonte town limits) to have good darkness.

I haven't seen any fireflies yet, but this year we have some owls serenading us most nights.

-brino

Booter,

Welcome aboard. I've added your machine to the master Atlas database. I usually update the on-line copy in Downloads every month or two. In the meantime, if there is any information that you wish to add (for example accessories that came with it (if any), whether it had the original stand, etc. feel free.

Hi wa5cab ...... thanks for the reach-out.
And thank you for adding this machine to the master Atlas database.
No accessories with it, unfortunately. Still, grateful to have it here.
The knee is back on it. Hopefully, tomorrow the ram and, with luck the motor, etc. on Sunday.
Then .... just maybe ... it will come back to life -- after who knows how many years.
Woo hoo!
:) Jeff

Thanks Silverbullet.
Much appreciated.
------
BTW ... was just reading over some older posts on the Atlas shaper and there was some back-and-forth on serial numbers.
I wonder if anyone can toss out any suggested vintage for the machine that is here. It is a 7B, Ser. No. 002455.
The ratchet case is Mazak.
----
The machine is ... basically, redone and ready (almost) to work.
During the final hour of reassembly, a couple of days ago, I discovered that a previous owner had remanufactured a couple of parts in the ratchet case. The job was 'good enough" -- but not good. So, I'll be remaking a couple of parts. However, first, I have to weld up the new stand for the machine.
Overall, I am very well pleased with how the shaper cycles and adjusts.
Thanks
Jeff

I have been meaning to take a look at my shaper's tag since I noticed this thread, and just remembered to do so a short while ago. My shaper is a 7AB, serial number 001750. It does have all the belt guards. It has the rod for the foot, but had no foot when I got it a couple of years ago. I can find no serial number stamped on the machine itself. The ratchet case is mazak, zamak, or whatever the pot-metal alloy is called.

Technically, Zamak is not pot metal because pot metal is any of a bazillion slightly different lead alloys. Ideally, Zamak contains no lead. And in fact, contamination of the Zink with lead is generally thought to be the cause of Zink pest, which causes the failure of Zamak parts. Also, it appears that the specific Zamak alloy used by Atlas was Zamak V.

If the Serial Number is stamped on the name plate, it does not appear to be found anywhere else on the machine. Given the propensity for new owners to remove nameplates when disassembling a machine for painting and to never bother to reinstall them, we have an unfortunately high percentage of machines that, with the exception of 10" and 12" lathes with Timken spindle bearings built prior to about 1952 cannot be roughly dated. The database has one entry for serial number 001202 saying the the S/N is stamped on the front of the right knee way. Serial Number 003493 and several higher numbers have a note saying that the S/N is NOT stamped on the way. Anyone on here with a shaper S/N between 001202 and 003493 please report whether your machine does or doesn't have the S/N also stamped on the knee way.

The presence of the "A" in the model number on your nameplate means that when originally shipped, it did not have any belt guards. Good job on someone's part in finding and installing the appropriate guards. Best guess for a date is 1941.

Back