Early Riser or Night Owl? New Study May Help to Explain the Difference

i always thought there were night owls so they could pilfer their early riser husband's wallet at night.- had no idea there was another reason.

Always been a night owl, doesnt seem to be changing as I age.
Hate going to bed before midnight, hate getting up before 10am.
Hate those sanctimonious sparrow fart risers always going on and on about how I've missed the best part of the day.
And what ever you do dont expect a polite cheery conversation until well past my second coffee.

My cousin is one of those 'Early Birds'. He worked shift work at the mine for 20 years. His job had him rotating between day, swing and night shift on an incredibly cruel frequency. He never missed a day, but he fell asleep on the drive home TWICE:eek 2:.
He lived thru that, and was promoted to Stuporvisor, no shift work required. In THAT role for 10 years now, and his sleep patterns have settled into this-
Asleep with the chickens, and awake at 2:00 AM regardless of what he is doing. Work, vacation, his bed, motel bed, camper bed, hospital bed, it does not matter. Poor guy has not been able to "sleep in" for his whole life.

Retired and still an early riser as I usually wake up on my own daily around 5 am in bed by 10 pm.

Worked graveyard jobs starting as a teenager, made me a night-owl for life it seemed like. Up until 6 or 7 am, sleeping til noon.

Moved to the woods a few years back and now keep country hours, which are not quite farmer hours but generally involve being asleep somewhere around midnight and up somewhere around 7.

The missus, now, there's a morning person for ya. The dog even got fed up with being awoken that early.

Always been a night owl, doesnt seem to be changing as I age.
Hate going to bed before midnight, hate getting up before 10am.
Hate those sanctimonious sparrow fart risers always going on and on about how I've missed the best part of the day.
And what ever you do dont expect a polite cheery conversation until well past my second coffee.
Same here. We must be brothers. :)

Both in my present employment . 12 hr nights 4 nights , then have to shift my clock to daylight hrs just to see the family . Throw in 4 10 hr dayshifts in once in a while with these nights . Just did that 3 weeks ago . Feels like I lose my Sunday and Wednesday every week . My last position started at 5am and was downtown in the city . I was up at 4 and on the road not so long after it . I can do either , just want a solid weekly schedule with no OT or OT if needed . I would rather work 7 8 hour nights a week , which I did for 15 years .

911 has a very erratic sleep schedule, I'm not normal yet after 46 years(40 EMS,6 fire) of doing it. If I ever was :cautious:

Posting @ 02:30est, guess what that makes me.....
Have always felt I did my best work after 10pm. Be it on the board or later on the computer.
I think that's because it is quieter overnight. No interruptions.
Then later on when performing sys admin duties, late night became the erratic norm.
Always marveled at the complete lack of understanding by management when an overnight stint was required.

Back