Early Riser or Night Owl? New Study May Help to Explain the Difference

Then later on when performing sys admin duties, late night became the erratic norm.
Always marveled at the complete lack of understanding by management when an overnight stint was required.
Heh, about twenty years ago I did a brief stint as a UNIX sysadmin. Graveyard shift, handling on-site servers installed overseas. Turnkey stuff. Anyways, the manager got it in his head that us graveyard lackeys had all the time in the world and should be putting more time into his pet projects. So he pulled a night shift- just one - to show us how it's done. He was struggling by 1 am and by 3 was asleep at his desk. As with many similar stories, the complaints stopped after that.

Interesting point in that article, btw, about the length of the circadian clock being the determining factor. I always feel the urge to go to bed a bit later than I did the previous night, and during an extended bout of unemployment determined that my internal clock is just under 25 hours ... leading to a standard 9-5 schedule every few weeks.

Seeing that part about internal clock I've determined that a couple of gears are missing teeth on my clock. :grin:
I'm going to start logging my times and see if I can determine anything. My schedule is currently so messed up I need to try something.

Heh, about twenty years ago I did a brief stint as a UNIX sysadmin. Graveyard shift, handling on-site servers installed overseas. Turnkey stuff. Anyways, the manager got it in his head that us graveyard lackeys had all the time in the world and should be putting more time into his pet projects. So he pulled a night shift- just one - to show us how it's done. He was struggling by 1 am and by 3 was asleep at his desk. As with many similar stories, the complaints stopped after that.

Interesting point in that article, btw, about the length of the circadian clock being the determining factor. I always feel the urge to go to bed a bit later than I did the previous night, and during an extended bout of unemployment determined that my internal clock is just under 25 hours ... leading to a standard 9-5 schedule every few weeks.

Beings I only want 4-6 hours of sleep a night, early rising is me. My past job having me up all different hours in the morning made it practically impossible to set an alarm, but I'm always awake now at 5:00 a.m. or before. Nothing like an early summer morning with a hot cup of coffee and no noise!

OMG, Anywhere around 03:30 till about 21:00 is good for me. I wouldn't want to miss a Sunrise. Hope im not showing I'm really a Fisherman. :big grin:

I sleep about 4-5 hrs a day, so moving my diurnal cycle around is easy, and no jet lag... But a lot of lonely hours while the family is sleeping: they all need their 9 hrs every day!

morning with a hot cup of coffee and no noise!
5-6 hours about max for me. Told my wife , if she would like to honor me when I die to bury me at sunrise. I hate to get up, even when sick, and realize the sun has been up for hours.
Dave

There's two kinds of people in the world
The day people and the night people
It's the night people's job
To get the day people's money

lyrics to "Rabbit" by Ray Wylie Hubbard

I'm a night owl for sure. I typically go to bed between 11 and 12 pm on a work night. Otherwise I can stay up until the sun comes up, especially if I am working on something really intricate like engine work or a complicated machining job. I get so much more done, and the best part is that there are no interruptions.

Back