Eastwood Mig 250?

markknx

Active User
Registered
Hi guys, I just stumbled across a Mig welder by Eastwood. (yes the same company that make benders, plandishing hammers, English wheels and the sort) I find them pretty good quality in their other tools. But never heard of them for welding equipment.
Anyone here have any dealings good or bad with their welders? the Mig 250 in general? Lookslike it could be a good machine 60% duty @ 250 Here is a link. The price makes me balk a little.
http://www.eastwood.com/mig-250.html

I have the good fortune that I can stop by there store in Alsip, IL. (Chicago, well it's close south suburb.) I am 10 min. away quite often. I talked to a sales rep there and they said they have one I can try in the shop, so that is a big plus. Probably set to run mig but I can't see it being good at that and not running Flux core good also. I Know everlast jumped in and is putting out from what I here fine machines. so why not Eastwood. Also comes with a 30 or 60 day return policy and 3 year warranty.

Well as always thanks for any input. and I will post once I have a chance to swing by and test one. Mat also test a plasma cutter as well.

Mark.

I looked at Eastwood when I was shopping for a MIG, most of the reviews seemed very favorable, the 3 year warranty and low price made me seriously considering buying one. However, just at that time Miller started offering a nice rebate deal and free spool gun with the purchase of a 211, When I crunched the numbers it only came out to be a little more expensive so I ultimately went that route. I will probably look at Eastwood again when I shop for a plasma cutter, so please let us know if you get to test one.

A more important question might be what torch was it designed for, years ago I bought a welder made by Linde that had a Union Carbide made torch, virtually impossible to easily get consumable parts for and I am in New Jersey. The most common torch for manual machines is Tweco, if so buy it. If you can talk them into increasing the cable length to 10 or 12' do so as you will soon grow weary of dragging the entire machine around the parts.

Wreck, It comes with a tweco torch and so readily available consumables. It comes with a 10' torch cable also. Seams a bit to good that is where I am getting nervous. I will stop there in the next few days if I can. only found a few reviews on line, but it is a new machine. All the reviews on Eastwoods site were good. (but I don't always trust the reviews on the sellers site).
Mark

I have never used a welder from Eastwood. But every thing of theirs that I have researched has great reviews. As well as the company it self. Thay seam to really stand behind there products. Since you can go by and try it out I say if you are happy with it go for it.

So I stopped in at Eastwood and ran some beads with both the 175 and the 250 migs. both welded pretty good in mig mode. they did not have any set up for flux core. so I brought one home to give it a spin. the torch is nice, the power cord could be a few feet longer. anyway I only had a few minutes to play and I do not have a 240v outlet set for that plug. so I ran on the 120v. It welded pretty good using .035 wire A little erratic at times, but that could be the old wire, me or many other factors. I can say on a good 20 amp circuit it will weld hot enough for 1/4 inch. it also made some good looking welds. I will get a pulg hooked up this week end. I will also get some pictures. I will also do some fine tuning. Pic up some 0.045 and see how it runs. if it does not work out I have 60 days to take it back.
Mark

Oh by the way I also tried their plasma 60. it seemed to work good but I am not the best at plasma cutting. so I had some issues. would like to see it in the hands of some one that was good with it.
Mark

Sounds good can't wait till you get 220 ran to it .:beer: Will be looking for a review of it once you get a little time with it.:penny: Man I am clad I don't live close to Eastwood or Grizzly I would be broke all the time.:laughing:

The plasma should almost be like welding in reverse. I've got an Esab 875 plasma cutter and running that is like cutting butter with a hot knife. The small units will only cut sheet metal , if you expect to cut 1/4" or more get a larger machine then you think . Mine balks at 3/4" thick but if I slow down it cuts like a dream. I've even cut aluminum with it a bit gloppy but still super fast cuts. On your welder to run 45 wire you will need the 220 hooked up I think. Yupp if you want to cut thick steal the small cutters only cut thin metal.

The plasma should almost be like welding in reverse. I've got an Esab 875 plasma cutter and running that is like cutting butter with a hot knife. The small units will only cut sheet metal , if you expect to cut 1/4" or more get a larger machine then you think . Mine balks at 3/4" thick but if I slow down it cuts like a dream. I've even cut aluminum with it a bit gloppy but still super fast cuts. On your welder to run 45 wire you will need the 220 hooked up I think. Yupp if you want to cut thick steal the small cutters only cut thin metal.
this was 60 amp. plasma it cut 3/8 like butter it is rated for 3/4 clean cut and 7/8 or 1" separating cut.(or something like that) that term I think means it may cut it but it won't look good. I also ran it on some 1/2 it seamed like it could cut it in the right hands. Like I said I need more practice on plasma cutting before I could give a fair review on that.

More on the welder in just a bit.
Mark

Back