Easy project for my sand blasting cabnet

churchjw

Active User
Registered
I did a tune-up of my sand blast cabinet this weekend. New glass, gun tip, grounding strap etc... One of the things that has always bugged me when using any sand blast cabinet is that the glass fogs on the outside from my breath. Maybe its just me. So I thought if I put a fan over the window it would keep it from fogging. :think1::think1: Since I can never do anything the simple way I decided a small 110v computer fan in a section of 3" PVC pipe would make a kind of air curtain across the window.

100_7755.JPG100_7756.JPG100_7757.JPG

I wired it into the light for the cabinet so it comes on when the light does. It pivots on the mounting blocks so I can adjust the direction of the air. I used the cabinet for about 30 min straight with no fogging. :thumbsup: The entire project took about an hour to complete. I don't use the cabinet with a mask since I always run the vacuum with it and its sealed very well.

Jeff

100_7755.JPG 100_7756.JPG 100_7757.JPG

Jeff,

Just to make sure I understand what you did ... the defogger is on the outside of the cabinet and is blowing down and across the view port? Corrrect?

'zactly the way i see it. . . . . my smaller cabinet is great except for the dammmmm noisy shop vac keeping the dust down. maybe a speed control (lite dimmer switch) would help quiet it down. .

Yes, the defogger is blowing air on the outside of the glass to keep my breath from fogging the glass. It blows out the PVC tube down toward the floor.

I agree I hate the noise from the vac but not enough to spring for a whole shop system with the vac outside. :) I just keep a set of ear plugs next to the cabinet. Besides the cabinet is only about 18" from my compressor so the vac is not the worst of the noise. :banghead: On my short list is to make a dust separator to go between the cabinet and the vac so I don't have to stop every 10 min or so and clean the filter.

Jeff

I would like to see more pics and hear more details of your sandblast cabinet if its not proprietary ;). I want to make one. It hadn't occurred to me to make it out of wood. That simplifies things. Did you make the nozzle as well? I was looking at nozzles from McMaster.

Kenny's pictures are a much better for building your own. :worship::worship: Very nice job Kenny. I started with the cheap plastic one from Northern tools http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200103074_200103074 Got it on sale for around 200.00. Then added new doors, arm holes, light, vac, feed door, ect... Probably cheaper to build one like Kenny's. On mine I used rare earth magnets out of old computer hard drives to hold the doors closed. They have enough force to compress the seals but no moving parts for the grit to damage. Have been very happy with the results. Did have to remove half of the ones I was going to use so I could get the doors open. :banghead::banghead: They are very strong. One big problem with the plastic cabinet is its hard to ground the parts. The static will find any little hole in the gloves especially when your hands start to sweat. I have been hit hard a few times. I was blasting some large cast pieces and getting 4" sparks. That hurts. I just added more grounding with this fix up. Grounded to the wall outlet (hope that works)

Jeff

wow kenny, a picture is worth a thousand words. An album of pictures could only be beat by you coming over here and making it for me. That's a really nice cabinet, excellent craftsmanship. Thanks for the pictorial guide.

Would a sandblaster blow through a sheet of aluminum foil?

wow kenny, a picture is worth a thousand words. An album of pictures could only be beat by you coming over here and making it for me. That's a really nice cabinet, excellent craftsmanship. Thanks for the pictorial guide.

Would a sandblaster blow through a sheet of aluminum foil?

Thanks!
i have never tried foil, but I run my cabinet at 80psi so I would bet it would blow through it easily.

I saw a video recently where a guy made a bicycle out of cardboard. It was amazing. I've since been trying to think of a use for the stack of cardboard boxes in my garage. I think they would make a viable sandblasting cabinet. However I think I would need to line the inside with something more substantial. I don't have a sandblaster to experiment with different foils and epoxies. And idea what would make a good liner?

Back