Easy simple threading

I've done this with a single die head chaser in a tool bit holder, and use a retractable tool bit holder to retract the cutter at the end of the cut.

To me it is just as easy to single point thread.

hmmmmm......one thing I don't get.....

in the video before removing the long part for a trial fit, he bothers to mark the hex side between the two upper jaws, but I don't see that he marked the depth into the chuck jaws!

Without the depth being controlled, that would also wipe out the threads on the next cut.....right?
I suppose there could be a depth stop on the outboard side of the headstock?!?!?

okay a second thing I don't get.......
I turned on english translation subtitles and got references to "fallopian" and "uterine".
are those references to female or internal threads?
one might have been referring to the half-nuts......not sure.....

-brino

Without the depth being controlled, that would also wipe out the threads on the next cut.....right?
I suppose there could be a depth stop on the outboard side of the headstock?!?!?

Sure would . Most likely he does have a stop in the spindle for depth and it wouldn't take much of a variation to wipe those threads out .

in the video before removing the long part for a trial fit, he bothers to mark the hex side between the two upper jaws, but I don't see that he marked the depth into the chuck jaws!
When he put the shaft back, it looked to me that he picked up the thread first before doing the next pass.

I think you are right, he used the compound to pick up the thread. Which makes me wonder why he bothered to mark it at all, unless he is aware of some runout in that chuck, and he wanted to put it back in the same place to eliminate the runout effect.

okay a second thing I don't get.......
I turned on english translation subtitles and got references to "fallopian" and "uterine".
are those references to female or internal threads?
one might have been referring to the half-nuts......not sure.....

-brino

I think the marking of the part in relation to the chuck jaws was for runout. I do the same thing with my 3 jaw. It's good for .003 but I can usually get .001 if I put the part back in the same relative spot. Even if he had a depth stop I can't see that thread lining up well enough using that fat mark without reaquiring it. Everyone probably know's this but there's a point I wanted to mention. To get a tapered thread you need to use a tapered thread tap like a pipe tap. On a regular tapered tap for a machine thread the taper is produced by grinding the crests off the threads so the thread form is wrong in the tapered area.

If you freeze the video at the right instant (9:00) you can see he used a 3/8”-24 UNF tap, not an NPT thread. So, it really isn’t any different than single pointing except for maybe fewer passes to complete the thread and the taper that’s left near the end of the tap. That can be a pro or a con, depending on your application.

Edit: To correct time in the video. Thanks to RJ.

Tom

Last edited:
If you freeze the video at the right instant (11:16) you can see he used a 3/8”-24 UNF tap, not an NPT thread. So, it really isn’t any different than single pointing except for maybe fewer passes to complete the thread and the taper that’s left near the end of the tap. That can be a pro or a con, depending on your application.

Tom
Ile time is actually 9:00. 11:16 the the length of the video.

Using a straight tap, the thread form will be wrong. The flanks of the thread won't be equal with the longer flank towards the headstock. The angle between the flanks will be 60º but they will be rotated by the taper angle, around 1.8º. In searching. I couldn't find any tapered thread with 24 TPI. It is possible that he cut the female thread in the same way and the threads would mate properly. It is also possible that this is just a "made for t.v." video.

Back